Four

© 2015, ItsLillieBro

Edited 06/07/2020

________

Olivia

"I'm sorry.. what?" I asked in disbelief.

"I suspected it when the two of you came to the pack house days ago, but I wasn't positive. I am now. Between her scent and what happened when I was assessing her," he stopped talking as he closed his eyes to calm himself before continuing, "I know for a fact. She is my mate."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Everything you hear about when you touch your mate for the first time. I always thought everyone was exaggerating, but not anymore. It's taking every ounce of control I have not to kill the vampire for hurting her and to keep from running to the hospital to be with her. However, I don't think that would go over well. Just as I figured it was a good thing that she was unconscious when I touched her or she would have freaked out," he explained.

My mother noticed my stressed figure and took Brayden from me.

I ran my hands through my hair and let out another groan, "This can not be happening."

"Hey, what is so wrong with me being her mate?" Chase asked becoming very defensive.

"Because Chase, she is a human. She knows absolutely nothing about this world and she is such a flight risk I don't know if she could ever handle it," I tried to explain.

"What do you mean?" he inquired.

"Nothing, it's not my story to tell. Just keep your distance," I said and held my hand to him as he tried to object, "At least for now Chase."

He gave me a curt nod before turning to some of the pack elders to discuss the vampire situation. I turned to my parents.

"Could you guys watch Brayden? I'm going to go to the hospital. I know they said I can't see her, but I hate the thought of her there alone. I'm going to stay there until the morning," I said.

They smiled and my dad replied, "Of course, I'd like to get to know my grandson."

I decided to go change out of my work clothes and head over to the hospital.

I sat in the waiting room and at some point fell asleep. I woke up to someone lightly shaking me.

"Miss, you may see your friend now. She is in room 114," a young nurse said.

I thanked her and gathered my stuff to head down the hallway.

As I neared her room I could hear a conversation between Hailey and someone else.

"W-What happened," Hailey moaned, before she exclaimed in realization, "Where's Brayden?!"

I could hear her heart rate go up as she panicked.

"Breathe, it's going to be alright. Your friend has been here all night. I'm sure she will explain everything to you just as soon as she gets back here," she assured her.

I lightly knocked on the door as I walked in.

Once I saw her, I immediately rushed to her as I said, "Oh my gosh! I'm so so sorry."

"Why are you apologizing?" she asked me as she tried to fully sit up in the bed.

"I don't know. I feel like it was my fault," I said with a sigh.

"It wasn't. What even happened? I remember going on a walk, and that's it. Where is Brayden? Is he okay?" she asked.

"Well, someone attacked you and tried to take Brayden. My parents happened to hear the commotion and stopped him before he took off with Brayden. He's been arrested and he won't hurt either of you again. And Brayden, he's great. He's actually with my parents right now, actually," I answered.

"Parents? As in you told your dad?" she asked.

I nodded and she smiled as she said, "That's great. What did he say?"

"He said he understood why I kept it from him even though he was disappointed I did so, but that he still loves me and is proud of the responsibility I took on," I told her proudly.

I was happy not to hold that secret from my father any longer.

"So, who was the guy? I find it hard to belive some random guy on the street tried to kidnap Brayden," Hailey asked.

I nervously looked around the room before trying to come up with something quick and believable, "He was just a scorned family member, unfortunately. Again, I'm so sorry you got hurt in the process."

She slowly nodded, and I could tell she didn't fully believe me. However, she didn't press the matter any longer. We talked for another couple of hours before the nurse said visiting hours were over but that she could leave tomorrow as long as she was still doing well. I told her to get some rest and I went to get Brayden.

"Mom! Dad! I'm back," I mind-linked incase Brayden was sleeping.

I made my way through the house but stopped when I heard my parents' voices.

"They're on their way, what are we supposed to do?" my mother asked.

"I don't know, even as her father there is only so much I can do. I am still Beta, I have to abide by pack rules. She left the pack and that's exactly what they're going to say when they get here," my dad replied.

I walked in and grabbed Brayden. They turned to say something realizing I had heard their conversation, but before either of them could say anything I heard a throat clear from behind me. I turned to find Andrew and Chase standing there.

"My father would like to speak with both of you," Chase said.

I rolled my eyes, annoyed he was talking to me like I was someone he didn't even know. My eyes grazed over Andrew and my breath hitched in my throat. I had not seen him since the night Brayden was conceived. He avoided eye contact with me, but I noticed his eyes on Brayden.

"I can't right now, I have to get Brayden home," I said, trying to get past them.

The two of them stepped in my path.

"You need to do as my father says," Chase said trying to intimidate me.

I snorted and gripped Brayden closer to me as I replied, "You need to get out of my way, I have to get my son home."

I could sense Andrew tense up, but I refused to look directly at him. I pushed past the two of them and moved as quickly as I could downstairs. I grabbed Brayden's things and rushed back to our house. I couldn't help but fight the tears all the way there, wondering if Andrew had felt what I had felt as I brushed past him. I don't know how he couldn't have, or how he could stand to feel that and continue to reject me. I couldn't even imagine the pain I would feel if he rejected our son as well. A tear fell from my eye at the thought of it.

"You'll always have me, baby," I whispered before I kissed his forehead, "No matter what."