Twenty-Eight

© 2019, ItsLillieBro

Warning: some strong language is used in this chapter.

____

Edited 11/26/2020

____

Hailey

It took a full day to prepare for Brian's funeral and the pack was a wreck. To be honest I didn't know how Olivia was holding it together with Andrew, not in good shape and her dad, her best friend, was gone. Shelby was distraught from losing her brother and I wasn't sure if everyone was going to make it through this.

Carrie wasn't much better—the loss of her mate had destroyed her. I just felt so helpless and after everything that had happened, very angry with the moon goddess. I felt less like myself than I ever had, even with all the other times Josh derailed my life, but I took comfort in knowing he was dead. I wish I could say that meant he could no longer affect me, but that wasn't true seeing as I was standing around my family and still felt so alone.

I shook my thoughts from my mind as I stood next to Chase and watched as the ceremony for Brian began. I held his hand and felt the slight tremble in his hand against mine.

I gave it a light squeeze as if to say, "It's okay, I can fix this."

But it wasn't okay, and I couldn't fix it.

Bates stood in front of the place Brian was to be buried and began to speak, "We are all saddened to be standing here today. My best friend, my b-"

He stopped for a moment as he closed his eyes to regain his composure, "My brother, my right-hand man, has left us. He was a wonderful husband and father. I know he touched many lives and he will be missed dearly."

He continued for a moment before ending his speech by saying, "We will honor him today by burying him among our ancestors, the greatest honor, to forever be with all who led before us. Please, join us in laying him to rest."

We all drew closer and watched as they laid his wolf form in the ground, next to an empty tombstone. His tombstone read 'BETA WILLIAM BRIAN GREENWOOD—wonderful husband, father, and beta.' I assumed the empty tombstone would belong to Carrie as the former Beta Female.

I watched as they lowered him into the ground and heard the sobs of Carrie, Olivia, and some of the pack members. I could tell Chase was doing his best to not cry, to be strong for the pack, but I knew how much he was hurting as he loved his uncle dearly. I was sad that everyone was hurting, I was sad Brian was gone, but I couldn't bring myself to have any type of real feelings.

I felt so empty.

Once the service was over we all solemnly made our way back to the packhouse. Some of the women were cooking, but I knew no one wanted to eat.

"How about we go rest for a bit?" Chase whispered and I nodded, grateful to finally be able to leave the overwhelming sadness and amount of people.

It was just too much for my current mental state.

Trudging up the stairs to our room felt like such a long walk. Chase shut the door behind us and embraced me from behind.

"Let's get washed up, yeah?" he said and I feebly nodded.

He undressed us and we both got into the shower. I just stood there as the water washed over me. A small tear slipped from my eye.

"I'm so sorry," I choked out before I began sobbing, "I can't stop feeling numb and broken long enough to console you over an attack on your uncle that was caused because of me."