Two

© 2015, ItsLillieBro

Edited 05/22/2020

Hailey

I shot up in the bed from a dead sleep. I realized it was only another bad dream and I tried to calm my racing heartbeat. Olivia's face hovered next to me which caused me to jump.

"Are you okay?" she whispered.

"I-I'm fine, just a bad dream. How'd you know?" I asked.

"You screamed," she said, looking at me very concerned.

"Oh," I replied while feeling slightly embarrassed, "I didn't wake up Brayden did I?"

"No, no, he was up long before I heard you. He's an early riser, but he sleeps through the night which is good enough for me. Want to go get some breakfast and head out?" she asked as she returned to her bed.

We split a room so it wouldn't be as expensive, which was good for me because I only had a limited amount of money. I do have a savings account that I had before I met him, but I wasn't sure that he couldn't track it so I was afraid to take the money out.

"Sure, let me go get ready," I said before I went to the bathroom to do my morning routine.

When I came back out I saw her packing her multiple bags and grabbing my one to set them by the door. I began to think about it all and started to feel uneasy.

"Olivia, I'm not sure about this. We barely even know each other, isn't it a little crazy? I've known you for a little over 48 hours and we're going across the country together?" I asked beginning to panic.

I sat down on the bed and closed my eyes. Although, I knew what I was really panicking about.

"Hailey," she set the bag down and said, "You're right, we haven't known each other very long, but you know more about me than anyone I've ever met. I know the plane landing and us getting stuck at the airport sucked, but I know it happened for a reason. I was meant to meet you and for whatever reason, we were meant to be friends. Maybe for me, it was to have more support when I tell the truth to my family, maybe for you, it's whatever it is you're running from.  I know it seems crazy, but it just feels right. Obviously by now if one of us was shady something would have happened."

She laughed before coming to me and placing a hand on my shoulder before saying, "I was slightly joking, but it's true. I'm just a woman with a baby trying to make it home who needs a good friend and I really think I've found a great one."

I smiled and said, "You're right. I think I'm just really nervous about what I'm running from. I'm not ready to get into it, but I'm running from a relationship, and every time I stop I'm afraid it's going to catch up to me. I do have to agree with what you said though, I think it happened for a reason and I'm glad to be getting to know you."

She nodded and said, "I get that, we just won't make long stops. We'll drive as far as we can and only stop if we have to. Do you still want to eat?"

My stomach growled and I laughed and said, "Yes, definitely."

She laughed too and we grabbed the bags and Brayden and headed out. We ate then headed to the car. I started driving and we told each other more stories. I didn't have as many to tell, but she had plenty. After a few hours Olivia had fallen asleep in the passenger seat and I was alone with my thoughts.

I couldn't shake the feeling that he would find me. It was all I could think about and it just urged me to keep driving. Before I knew it I had driven through the night and we were only three hours away.

Olivia jumped as she woke up and said, "Whoa, where are we? How long have you been driving?"

"Um, ten to twelve hours. I took a couple of stops to feed and change Brayden. We should probably stop and change him again, it's been a few hours," I said as I pulled into a gas station.