Heartache

~ Chapter 28 ~

*Major editing done

I swerve in my seat, while Asher makes a sharp turn. I just hope that we don't get pulled over, not that Asher would even stop.

" Now, I see why you hate him." I say with a small voice. I turn to look at him and his eyes are glued straight in front of him, while we try to get to the airport as quick as possible.

" It's always been obvious, Grey." He says with a clear voice and I shrug. I also don't miss the bead of sweat, that slides down from his soft hair.

I do realize how much Alex means to Asher. So, the nice person I am; I'll try to turn this guys life in the right way. Why? I don't know.

After about twenty-five minutes, we make it and let's just say, we're thankful for our athletic physique right now because Devon's flight takes off in 10 minutes and our feet manage to cope with that.

We get some weird looks, especially from the security, but we couldn't care less at the moment. I continue following the brunette. I admit that he's going a little too fast for me.

Suddenly, he stops abruptly in front of what looks like a long line of people, going through security.

" Shit!!!" He takes off his snapback and runs frustrated hands through his hair, once again.

" I'm hoping you have a plan." I mumble.

When his pale green eyes meet mine, I see a simple spark in them for a second—but then it disappears, which still reassures my hope.

" Follow me." He starts running and I continue to question how he can go this fast with converse shoes.

Before I know it, we're going through hidden doors and empty hallways. I also question how he knows all these secret routes.

When we go through this metal door, I find myself panting, while standing in the middle of the busy terminals.

" Smart. Now I hope you know the gate number because there are approximately 2 minutes left."

" Gate 33." He says, slightly out of breath, which is barely shocking to me.

I look around, then see it. "We're in—"

" Gate 15." We say in unison and realize that we've got more and quicker running to do. When we arrive in front of the gate, I start getting more anxious than I expected to.

" It's empty." He says breathlessly. " They're gone. It took off."

My heart aches at his quiet words. I turn to look at him slowly, expecting a sad expression or even a simple frown, but no. Asher Cooper manages to keep the most neutralist face known in History. The only thing that gives away he's actually disappointed are his pale eyes and twitching jaw.

I take a deep breath. " Asher—"

" Follow me." He says once again, so I do, without any questions.

We go down a set of stairs, different hallways, and out of an exit door. The warm air blows through my face, legs, and arms. That's the part, where I thank myself for wearing a plain T-shirt and shorts.

I realize we're standing in front of actual operating airplanes and land strips. I notice the night sky looking especially beautiful tonight. I turn to Asher, confused.

" Are you okay?" I ask.

He doesn't answer. Then, a moment of silence.

" Are we even allowed here?" I try again, but still no answer. I sigh, confused with this boys stone covered emotions.

" I've never been better." He finally says with a serious voice, not even trying to sound sarcastic. Then, he takes a seat next to the door, so I sit down beside him.

" I know you're not okay." I say, breaking the silence.

" Really?" He tries to sound surprised but fails. I nod while looking at the full moon. " Then I think you're the only one who knows that." He adds.

At those words, my heart literally aches. I don't think I've ever heard Asher be this real. I want to tell him all of the other things I know, like how I know he's sad because of his pale eyes and how I notice that every time he gets happy his eyes twinkle with yellow specks and—

" I don't mean to be serious because—that's just not me but, I'm going to be running away soon." He slowly nods to himself, as if reassuring himself of this decision.

" No way." I protest and he raises his eyebrows at my reaction, wanting an explanation. " Of course, you'd have to take me with you, then we can run away."

At that, he half-smiles, maybe he even almost chuckles. Then, we continue looking at the dark blue sky, filled with stars. The sound of airplanes taking off fills my ears and I enjoy it.

" So, you don't want to talk about it?" I ask and notice his finger tapping in a steady rhythm; he's thinking.

" No. We can't do anything about it, so there's no point." He explains and I nod. " So, where is our secret runaway location going to be?" He asks me.

" You're idea. Your choice." I reply.

" So, you're saying if one day I come to your front door at 3 in the morning, with packed bags, you'll actually agree to leave everything behind?" Now, he stares directly into my blueish-grayish eyes.

I put a fake thinking face on, then immediately answer, "No." He frowns at my answer. " You'd have to give me a reason, a mode of transportation, an exact time, and location."

He nods his head slowly and that smile I know starts appearing on his face. " That won't take long." He informs me.

I roll my eyes then let my curiosity out. " How do you know your way around here so well?"

" Devon." He answers, oddly without hesitation." He used to work here and I was the clingy younger brother." His jaw clenches as usual, at the mention of his brother, especially now.

" Interesting." I say, amused.

The brunette and I, spend the rest of the night talking and staring at the night sky, forgetting it's even a school night.

It seems as if every week, I keep getting closer to this secretive green-eyed boy. He's obviously bottling up everything inside of him and I don't think it's going to be beautiful when he explodes, but I'll be there.

Thx for reading
Hope you enjoyed this deep chapter. <3

~ surviver ~