Comfortable Silence

~ Chapter 30 ~

*Major editing done

I slide my window open and the sudden humid air hits my face, Orlando's weather surprising me once again. It's 8 O'clock exactly and the Brunette has already knocked on my window three times.

" Impatient much?" I narrow my eyes at him and he rolls his eyes in response.

We allow each other to sit in the silence for a while and it's not that awkward silence, it's the loose kind; the one where it wouldn't be awkward if someone suddenly sneezed.

Therefore, I stare back at his neutral emotionless face and question him in every way, but in my mind; why does he care about my problems? Why do I care about his? I know he's stressed and in total conflict with his emotions so why does he hide it? Can he read me like I can read him? What level is our friendship at? Do we have a friendship? Will it end? Do I want it to? No—and that's when I realize that my brain is incapable of focusing on a single topic, without coming up with a hundred new ones.

Then, the answer to those questions suddenly appears in my mind.

We understand each other

It's that simple connection that you build with someone. You're simply capable of understanding each others problems and worries because of past experience and mentality.

" So, are you going to talk or do I have to beg you like a complete idiot." I notice his knee anxiously tapping, but you can never know if it's because he's anxious or bored.

" I'd like that." I shrug at him, but he doesn't seem to get irritated, which is not surprising.

After a couple of seconds in the serene silence, I decide to speak up before both of his knees start going crazy.

" I don't want to leave." The words come out easier than expected, but I guess it's because I've been holding them back like a fear, for too long.

" Leave?" His face suddenly forms into a puzzled mess.

" Move." I rephrase myself and take a seat, while resting my elbows on the window sill.

" Oh." He says quietly as his face falls into the considerate
thinking face, that I know too well.

I know he's trying to think of one of his brilliant ideas to get out of what has to be done, but this time nothing can be done. Maybe, there is something, but it would have to be acceptable to my semi-strict parents.

" What are you thinking of?" I raise an expectant eyebrow at him, but he only shrugs.

" Everything. Nothing." I look at his tapping fingers knowing that he has problems of his own too, so he shouldn't be putting much of his thought into my dramatical crisis.

" Have you ever tried to consider Ryder's idea of living alone here? After all, independence is very supported nowadays." He tilts his head at me.

Then, I remember I told him about Ryder's master plan. I actually haven't considered it because I don't know if Ryder and I would be able to live under the same roof without starting a brawl in less than a day. But, I could consider it if it's the only solution. I'll have to try and not jump to conclusions, though.

" Hmmm, considered." I send a small smile towards his emerald eyes and he sends a small one back then, I involuntarily—but maybe—partially—intentionally and mentally captured that small moment.

I sigh. " Enough of my dilemmas. I hate being the center of attention—"

" Oh, do you?" He smirks and I glower at him.

" Yes, I actually do. Moving on, have you talked to your dad or siblings yet?" I wonder if that was the right topic to bring up.

For a moment or just a second, his fingers stop tapping as if his train of thought slams to a stop.

" My crisis, unlike yours, is pretty official. To Trent and the whole family." He shrugs with his mouth set into a thin line, then his fingers start tapping again. As if he's not putting much thought into his own life problems, though I know he is.

" He's not coming back?" I say in a quiet voice this time, not really wanting to hear the answer, though I know what it is.

" Unfortunately, not. But I'll make sure to take you with me when I go visit him." He smiles sadly at me and the thought of that or even just the fact that he would consider to take me with him, to visit his 15-year-old brother, who I've known for only less than a month now, is fulfilling for some reason.

" We'll see about that." Is all I can say for now.

" So, I guess it isn't much of a crisis since it's only temporary and might end in a happily ever after." He explains.

" How come?" I ask his teasing face.

" Well, eventually, and I know this as a fact; Alex will come back to live here because don't tell me you believe that my twenty-year-old brother can take care of that devil." I give him a puzzled expression and think he might be rushing into conclusions faster than me, but then he explains, " Devon won't last a week with Alex."

—————————

I get into Asher's ink-black car and am greeted with the everyday smirk, that I find myself intimate with now.

" You're in a good mood, for a morning." I say while trying to hold back my yawn. "Which should never be possible." I add.

" Try me." He replies with the small smile, that I'm starting to like even more than that smirk of his. Even though his reply didn't make any sense, I don't question it because I'm too tired at the moment.

When I see his fingers—not finger—tapping peculiarly fast, I couldn't help but ask, "Did you get any sleep last night? Or is it coffee?"

" Those are a lot of questions for a morning, don't you think?" He gives me a playful slide glance, but again I'm not in the mood for anything and I probably look like crap at seven in the morning, so I don't know if there is anything that could get me to smile or laugh right now.

Though I doubt that the brunette is at all 100% okay, I don't push the subject since my curiosity is never satisfied and it will never really be with Asher Cooper and his complicated feelings.

" And that's a lot of energy for a morning, don't you think?" I mimic him and he suddenly grabs his black snapback and puts it loosely on my head, leaving it to hang over my eyes resulting in me not seeing anything.

" Just go to sleep, Grey." After fixing the SnapBack I unintentionally head off to dreamland.

Why this is not the first time his voice is the last thing I hear before falling asleep? I don't know.

Later on, I'm not awakened very peacefully. My eyes open and the first thing I hear is the very intentional cursing of Asher Cooper.

Thanks for reading
*Interesting chapters coming up, unlike this mellow chapter :)
Hope you liked it, even though it was short, but it's just a fill-in to keep you holding on...
Enjoy <3

~ surviver ~