The Unexpected: Part #1

~ Chapter 39 ~

I walk out of my room, fully dressed with soccer attire because it's soccer practice today. I carry my gear in a separate bag and walk down the stairs.

The boys aren't the only ones who have a soccer team jacket, the girls do too, but it's a maroon hoodie with the schools mascot on it; the classic eagle.

It's quite hectic during this time of day; my parents, Ryder, and I are usually awake and getting ready for work and school.

I walk into the kitchen and and notice Ryder sitting beside the island and texting on his phone. Of course, we don't acknowledge each other, or else that would be weird. I grab a bottle of water and a granola bar, then turn to leave, but he stops me.

" Where were you last night?" His firm voice makes me shiver involuntarily. Great, he's the caring brother once again.

I turn to meet his cloudy gray eyes. " I slept over at Melissa's, but then got a ride here at night because...I needed some textbooks to study for my test on Wednesday."

He narrows his eyes at me and I notice his white hoodie under his maroon letterman jacket, making his gray eyes stand out more than usual.

" You know you've never been good at lying." He crosses his arms and continues glaring at me.

" Yeah, I know, but I am good at blackmailing my brother." I smile at him and leave.

When I walk out the door, it hits me. The brunette and I had a miscommunication yesterday and we're supposed to go to school—together. At least I hope we will and I hope it won't be awkward.

When I get to the sidewalk and stand there awkwardly, not knowing what to do, at the right time I see the brunette walk out of his door with his usual black fit; the schools Maroon letterman jacket, a black supreme hoodie, black jeans, black vans for a change, black snapback, and of course, black raybans. Nothing new and I like that part about him, that makes him who he is.

However, he doesn't walk out alone; his stepdad is beside him and they're practically yelling at each other, so I turn around and pretend to use my phone, but I can still hear the commotion coming from behind me.

" You can't even bother, can't you?" Asher. " All you care about is your goddamn business. Why don't you just leave, it wouldn't make a difference!!!" At this, it takes all my energy not to look towards their direction.

Asher is yelling. I've never really seen him lose his chill, except during the fight and phone call he had.

When I quickly glance at them, I see the brunette holding his snapback in one hand with wild hair. Then I look away again.

Trent is speechless for a moment. " Asher...Asher I—"

" You don't have to say anything, Trent. I can deal with this on my own—like I always have—" Asher starts walking towards his car, but Trent stops him.

" Hey, kid. First of all, respect me and everything that I'm providing for you. I work my ass off, day and night, for you to go to school, for hospital bills, and—"

" Bullshit. Don't put her into this. Go to hell, Trent, go to hell." I hear the brunette say through gritted teeth.

When I finally look again, I notice the business-looking-man with a red face. Maybe Asher was slightly harsh on him.

Speaking of the devil, the brunette runs a hand through his glistening hair and starts stomping towards the house to get something.

" If you won't go and check on him, then I'll go myself." Asher slams the door and I start fidgeting with my phone nervously.