Modo de Protección

~ Chapter 41 ~

* Editing this chapter and the whole story soon, so enjoy and ignore the errors plus the cringey parts ;))

I open my eyes suddenly, realizing I probably fell asleep during the ride. I sit upright and look next to me only to see Asher still driving, still tapping, and hair still messy.

" Goodmorning." He says in a quiet yet raspy voice. " I see it's become a habit for you to take naps in my car—not that it's a bad thing." He gives me a side glance while smirking.

I tie my hair into a decent ponytail then decide to respond to his cocky comment. " Don't get too excited. I don't do it on purpose." I fake smile at him and realize we're already back in town and we're almost at the school.

I check the time on my phone and relax once I realize we'll make it to soccer practice. However, I decide to ignore the text messages from Ryder and I acknowledge Melissa's text saying she's waiting for me at the bleachers.

Come to think of it, I don't know how I'm going to explain this little road trip to Melissa or even Ryder.

One thing I did get out of this trip; Asher Cooper does not like detailed secret spills. This confusing brunette finally told me one of his secrets, but I have a feeling there's more to his past that makes him, well, him.

I still feel like everybody knows something that I don't. As if I've missed out on the climax of a movie. It's not fair. I can sympathize with the loss of his girlfriend, but still, there's a missing piece in the puzzle.

" We're here." His voice snaps me out of my trance.

" You ok?" I ask, but I find my voice is a whisper.

He stops still. Turns to look at me. Green—emerald eyes—emerald eyes—emerald eyes—dark emerald eyes, boring into my gray ones, that I find myself unable to move.

Then, suddenly; " Why wouldn't I be? After all, nothing's changed since my little story—or my brother's decision."

Was that a threat? I shiver at his whispered voice.

" I know." I say in a normal voice as I try to get rid of the awkward vibe.

Only then it hits me why he dragged me along with him; he's alone in this part of his story. He probably believes I'm the only one that understands him. I respect that, but he can't suddenly change into this mysterious and secretive brunette that pushes away everybody who comes in his way to try to help him.

Even though we're supposed to leave the car, the intense eye stare continues.

" Let's go kick some balls," I say and only then do I realize the meaning of my words.

Asher looks down. Then back up. We stare at each other for two seconds, but the peaceful seconds don't last as Asher starts chuckling while the sun hits his waves. Then a smirk. Then; "You'd like that wouldn't you?"

I involuntarily gasp and punch him playfully, while keeping in mind that he just got into a fight, which means my punching game is going to have be under control.

" Let's go kick some balls." He repeats my words as we both leave the car right after grabbing our bags.

The awkward vibe has officially left and at this moment the only things I'm really looking forward to are my cleats and a soccer ball.

While walking to the field, Asher suddenly grabs his snapback and whispers in my ear. " Need that more than you do."

—————————