Downtime

Wally's POV

"Are we still on for tonight? I really need help with this geometry" I state as Anastasia and I approach her locker. If I'm being honest I don't actually need help with geometry I just needed a reason to invite her over.

"Yeah of course I'm just surprised, you seem to be doing fine in..." Her voice fades and she freezes in front of her locker staring at a piece of paper taped to it. "What is..."

"Nothing" she interjects ripping it off and stuffing it into her jacket in one swift movement. I want to say something but knowing her she'll break down about it later tonight I just have to wait until she's ready.

"Well then let's get going miss Divine" I tease and like I suspected her pink lips curl up into a smile as she shoves me down the hall.

"Shut up Wally."
------------------------------------------------------------------

Wally's POV

"So we've been doing this for two hours, and you've basically done every problem by yourself. So what's really going on?" She asks leaning against my bed, crossing her arms while looking quite authoritative. "Ana I swear today at school I couldn't do any of this" I explain shrugging innocently earning an eye roll from her.

"Well I'm going to take a bathroom break" she sighs playfully ruffling my hair on the way out, and my eyes linger on the door until it's completely shut and when it is I pounce on my bed snatching the note from her jacket not having the patience to wait any longer.

Ugly
Loser
Fat
Traitor
Outcast
Disproportionate

And that's all it said. I flipped the paper around and around needing to find something an explanation or something, but there was nothing. I don't understand how girls could put six words on a piece of paper and be okay with the aftermath of it causes.

"Wally?"

My head snaps up to see Anastasia standing in my door her blue eyes wide and filled to the brim with fear. "You should've told me the second you saw it" I mumble setting aside because it feels like it's words are burning my hands.

"It didn't know how to tell you without making you worry." There's a part of me that's slightly upset she wouldn't immediately tell me, but it's overshadowed by sympathy because let's be honest she's the victim in this and doesn't need any more crap.

"I can't believe they actually thought they could do this and get away with it" I laugh dryly slowly standing up and approaching her as if she'd run off if I overstepped. "I can, they could get away with murder if they wished." I know I've been trying to lay off touching and flirting with her because I know how sensitive she's been to the subject, but I can't help but hug her right now.

She looks so hurt and confused, and she needs to know that she has friend that will always be there to help her. She doesn't shove me off her or scream at me instead she pulls me closer to her burying her head in my shoulder. 

"It's harder to ignore them then I thought it would be, but I refuse to let them take over my life. I thought by ignoring it I would forget about it faster, I guess you need to admit what's going on first before you can move on though." She sighs never lifting her head, and she never ceases to amaze me with her wisdom and grace.

We stand there for awhile so wrapped up in each other that time flies by like someone sped up the clocks, and I don't move until I feel her tears running down my back and I realize she's trembling in my arms. "Hey what's wrong?" I ask pulling back so she has to look me in the eyes.

"I'm just so lucky to have a friend like you..."

"Wally, come down and great our guests" my mom's voice echoes up the stairs, and we both pull apart mirroring blushes sticking to our cheeks. "I should get going..."

"No you should stay for dinner" I interject loving how her faces morphs from calm to a terrified in point five seconds. "I mean we're celebrating Jay's birthday tonight, and my family hasn't really had the chance to meet you" I explain slowing my voice down so she can hopefully understand me.

"Jay as in... Jay Garrick?"

"Yeah why?"

"Him and my mom were on the All-Star Squadron together."

"All the more reason to meet him." And before she can strongly decline I grab her wrist, and pull her all the way to foyer where my aunt, uncle, Jay and his wife are waiting. When I stop their faces all change to curious as they stare at Anastasia who I'm still holding up as she adjusts to normal speed.

"Wally what did I say about... Who's this?" My mom's voice questions as she comes around the corner a smile growing as she takes Anastasia in. "Is this the girl you've been going on about..."

"Mom..."

"The one that always captures people with her wisdom and snark, and has eyes that light up..."

"Mom I'm begging you..."

"And is super strong and the kindest..."

"Thank you Mom that's enough, and this is Anastasia." She stretches out her hand, but my mom skips the introductions and goes straight for the hug. Thank goodness Anastasia has supper strength, or my mom would've killed her. "Let me introduce you to everyone this is Barry and Iris Wally's Aunt and uncle."

"It's nice to meet you Anastasia, this is the first time Wally's ever brought a girl home" my aunt whispers looking right over Ana's shoulder at me with a smirk that says I'm going to regret this. Jay and Joan introduce themselves next, and Uncle Barry stands back glancing between the two of us like we're a puzzle he's quietly putting together.

"You look familiar, have we ever met before?" Jay asks as he shakes her hand, and Ana and I shared a quick look unsure of where to take this. Sure the team knows who she is, but is anyone else allowed to, I mean I don't even think Barry knows who she really is.

Who knows the league might talk about all of us behind our backs...

"People say I look like my mom, despite the blonde hair." I stare blankly at Jay wondering what he's going to do because surely he doesn't remember Diana that well. "Anastasia you should stay for dinner, Rudy will be home shortly." And before she can decline my mom and Iris are ushering her into the dining room.

Anastasia's POV

"So how do you and Wally know each other?" His dad asks me as I finish my dinner. So far I've been able to dodge any questions related to my mom and my heritage, but I'm not sure how much longer I can keep this up.

"Oh she's on the team with me" Wally nonchalantly pipes up as he serves himself his fourth helping of chicken not even realizing what he said. "He means we're on the same dodgeball... Team?" I try to cover up, but halfway through I realize Wally doesn't participate in sports.

And they obviously are not buying into my 'Wally's suddenly athletic act.'

"Okay so that wasn't convincing, so I'm just going to tell you the truth. My mom is Wonder Woman and I'm Divine" I blurt leaving no option of taking it back, I mean I'm sure I can trust them with my identity if Wally and Barry trust them as well.

"Anastasia I'm pretty sure Barry and I figured that out an hour ago, but A for effort" Jay laughs patting me gently on the back as I slump in my seat as my blush brightens.