Terrors

Wally's POV

"Britt and her plastic friends haven't been bothering you right?" I ask as we sit down noticing how they glare at us every chance they get. "Other than a few rotten looks, and a note every now and then."

"Well they shouldn't be allowed to get away with that" I scoff wanting to speed my way over there and pour my soda on her head, but I know Anastasia doesn't think we should react like she's a villain because 'She's just a confused teenage girl.'

"Can we change the subject?"

"So do you know who you're taking to homecoming yet?" I ask trying my best to seem nonchalant about the subject change. She freezes her milk carton still to her lips as I ask the question. Slowly she sets it down inhaling deeply as if I proposed, but to a girl anything related to homecoming is stressful especially when it comes to the date.

"No I think I'm just going to go alone unless someone asks me." The line seems tense and overly rehearsed, but she somehow forces it out with a smile like everything's okay. Although for some reason it's quiet the opposite. "How about you?"

Now I stare at her blankly unable to even try to cover up my awkwardness. If I'm being honest I want to take her, but I've gone on to long without telling her my feelings, and I've tried to cover them up in all the wrong ways. She could never go with me now.

"Nah this year I'm going solo." I swear I see a flicker of disappointment flash across her face but it's gone at the speed I run, and I'm left feeling like a clueless idiot again. "Maybe you could take Artemis" she suggests slowly as if testing to see what I'll say. Sure Artemis is pretty and I love getting a rise out of her, but she's not Anastasia.

I think at this point I can say we're friends, but I don't think it'll ever go any farther than that. Besides I'm pretty sure she despises me more than I despise her. "I don't like Artemis like that."

"Could've fooled me" she shrugs seeming completely unconvinced and unbiased about the whole thing.

Why do girls have to be so complicated.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Anastasia's POV

I peel my sweaty cheer uniform off welcoming a yoga pants and cropped sweatshirt with open arms. I exit the locker room only passing a few freshmen who have the audacity to glare me down.

"Hey Prince wait up!"

I stop trying my best to keep the wince off my face as Blake approaches me. He's the replacement line backer now that our other one has a broken arm, but he's had an odd fascination with me since last year when he sat the bench and had a perfect view of where I cheered. "Hey Blake it's been awhile."

"Well I've been trying to catch you after practice for awhile now, but you always manage to slip away" he laughs and I force one too, I mean it's not like I always see him looking for me and then I runaway. Our laughter dies and his eyes settle on mine as he blankly stares at me with a lost in space look.

"Well this has been fun, but I have to..."

"Wait I wanted to ask you something" he interrupts lightly grabbing my arm trapping me in the most awkward situation I've ever been in. I pull my arm away slowly as if I was taking a bone away from a puppy.

"Will you go to homecoming with me?"

I gaze at him and all I can hope for is that I'm hiding my horror because in all honesty Blake's a nice guy, yes a little odd but still a nice guy, however I've had my heart set on going with Wally even though that's never going to happen. Although that's partly my fault I did tell him I was going to go alone unless someone asked me, well here Blake is asking me. Maybe I should take my minds advice, maybe I should go with someone else and give Wally a taste of his own medicine.

"Yes."
------------------------------------------------------------------

Wally's POV

"Hey have you been avoiding me?" I ask Anastasia as we spar with each other since I'm the only one that can keep up with her speed. She goes to sweep me off my feet, but I jump before she can, and I retaliate by going to elbow her gut, but she blocks every one. "No, why would you say that?" But her higher voice tells me she is, and if I keep asking she'll eventually tell me.

"Well it's been two days since we last talked" I add rolling under her back fan kick. I pivot around pinning both hands above her head faster than she can stop me, but she knocks her knee with mine trying to get me to buckle, but instead of letting go I fall down on top of her so we're in the same position but on the ground.

"I've been busy" she scowls rolling so she's on top of me, but that's never been a reason before. "There's something else Ana, it's okay you can trust me." I flip us back releasing her hands, and letting my hands press the ground by her sides.

"I'm going to homecoming with Blake Walker." She flips us again pushing up and settling down on the ground in a lazy criss cross applesauce. She leaves me lying on the ground so I'm staring up at the ceiling because I'm too scared to look her in the eyes.

Sure I knew someone was going to ask her I just never prepared myself for the heartache that would follow the news "That's great Ana I'm... I'm happy for you."

But I don't think a lie has ever been this hard to pull off, and as I leave the room in a blur I still can't look at her worried a single glance will tell her everything I'm feeling in this moment.