Toxic

Wally's POV

"So when are you going to tell her?" Robin asks mockingly as I duck under his staff.

"Tell who what?" I retaliate blocking every hit he sends my way. He stops shaking his head in disbelief while I stand off to the side still confused. "Tell Anastasia that you like her." And while I'm stuck in a state of bewilderment he hits me in the gut knocking me down.

"Ha, I knew that would work, but seriously when are you going to fess up and tell her?" He helps me off the ground ignoring my sharp glare. "How about never because I don't like her."

"Wow KF I didn't know you were this thick headed" he laughs tauntingly as we head to the kitchen where Miss. Martian and Superboy most likely are. "If I say I like her will you leave me alone?" I demand stopping just short of the kitchen. He eagerly nods reminding me that he's barely a teenager.

"I like her, like really like her..."

"I knew it!" I turn around to see M'gann lurking in the door clearly picking up on our conversation. "Guys don't get to excited because it would never work... She's a princess from a society of immortal warriors, and I'm just a hyperactive guy that's probably hurt her to many times already..."

Pushing my way into the kitchen I ignore Superboy's worried gaze, and plop down at the table not wanting to admit to anymore of my secrets.

"I wouldn't worry about it to much not with me as your wingman" Robin boasts bringing my smile back. "If you're his wingman then he's going to be single forever" Superboy laughs everyone including Rob joining in.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Anastasia's POV

"Do you like Wally?"

I pause my eyes widening as soon as the question leaves M'gann's mouth. Whipping around I see both Artemis and M'gann smirking, but I can tell Artemis is trying to cover something up with it. "What kind of question is that? Of course I like Wally he's my best friend..."

"I think she meant in a more than friends way" Artemis butts in tossing more popcorn into her mouth. I roll my eyes, of course I knew what they meant, I'm just not ready to say it out loud because then it becomes so much more real. "It's obvious he really likes you."

I take a minute to stare at my two friends M'gann's eyes spilling over with hope, while Artemis stares back her face emotionless like always. "Really because I'm sort of positive he's still constantly flirting with you two as well" I point out my voice taking on a sharp tone.

"I don't understand why you can't just talk to him, you're a freakin' demigoddess that can fearlessly beat the crap out of any super villain." Artemis snaps her annoyed voice challenging my own.

"That's exactly why I can't tell him..." My mind stops my voice before it spills anything else, and my friends sit down by me concern etched on there faces, but can I really trust them with my biggest insecurity? "You can tell us anything" M'gann whispers picking up on my hesitation, and Artemis wraps a gentle arm around me silently telling me to go.

"You're going to think that I'm being ridiculous, but here it goes... I'm not exactly what you would call a perfect girl, my physiology that makes me a great hero makes me a target at school. There my leadership skills are considered bossy, my intelligence makes me a know it all, and my strength makes a lot of guys uncomfortable. No one wants to be with a girl that can bench press a car without even breaking a sweat..."

Silence hangs over our heads tauntingly as they try to come up with something to say, and I find myself unable to say anything else. "Wally's not like that" M'gann finally speaks up her voice abnormally soft.

"I know that, but there's still voice in my head saying it'll never work out" I sigh feeling more defeated than I did when the guys took us off the Mister Twister mission. "I thought there were a few guys that were interested in you at school?" Artemis questions but her voice isn't accusing just curious.

"Aphrodite's beauty tends to do that, but then they see me in P.E. or one of the other girls says something to them and their infatuation vanishes. It doesn't matter how pretty, funny, or nice you are if you out do a guy at something you shouldn't then you'll never hear the end of it."

But they're right Wally's not like that, so why am I still holding back and refusing to accept my feelings for him when he may very well be the only guy that will return them?
------------------------------------------------------------------

Anastasia's POV

I start to pretend to struggle on my fifteenth pull up even though I could easily do them all day, but I already got carried away doing fifteen. Dropping down I ignore the nice job Mr. Landeck yells all of my classmates rolling their eyes as I stalk to the back where Wally is.

"I was starting to think you were never going to stop" he says elbowing my side playfully, and I'm about to retaliate when Brenton turns around to glare down at me. He's a junior and a rather large football player that's just as wide as he is tall. "You know Prince, I would take you to Homecoming if you understood how girls are supposed to act."

"Hey..."

"Wally let me handle this. First you wouldn't be taking me because I would never allow you to, and secondly I will not pretend to be weaker than I truly am just to please you because last I checked you, and no one else in this school owns me" I seethe taking a daring step forward receiving an eye roll from Brenton.

"Here we go again, and I assume you only hang out with her West to make up for your lack of masculinity?" He spits back storming out of the gym before Wally can say anything else. With a heavy heart I turn to Wally who seems unfazed by the argument. "I'm sorry you always get dragged into this stuff..."

"Don't apologize it's what friends do" he stops me slinging an arm around my shoulders leading me out of the gym now that we're the only ones left.

"Yeah... Friends..." I whisper to myself once we've parted and I go to change. If that's what I really want? Is that what he really wants? Will either one of us ever be brave enough to do something about it?
------------------------------------------------------------------

Anastasia's POV

I do a barrel turn my bracelet colliding with my mom's as I complete it. How long has this been going on? I silently ask myself barely blocking her hits as I grow more tired. "You're holding back why?" My mom shouts as I forward roll under her lotus kick.

"I'm... I am not" I breathe pouncing back on her not about to prove her wrong even though she is right. "You are stronger than you let yourself believe" she continues ignoring my previous statement as she snaps out her lasso whipping it at me as I dodge it. "You're holding back because you doubt yourself because you're scared you might hurt me." I try my best to block out her voice knowing she only does it to try and distract me, but it's hard when she's reading me like a book.

Nostrils flaring I grab the end of her lasso yanking it with all my strength, but she doesn't let go so I keep a firm grip on the lasso sending a sharp jump side kick to her gut. She falls back staring up at me with a smirk that only mom's can pull off, and I help her up tossing her the lasso because I've had enough for one day.

"Anastasia." I pause slowly turning around forcing all of my feelings to the back of my mind far from her reach. Sometimes I swear she's a telepath, but she says it's just her mom sense. "Yes?"

"I think you're perfect the way you are, and you don't need to try and fit in not when you were specifically created to be how you are." She follows me up the steps wrapping me in a tight hug that I'm to confused to return. "What are..."

"I overheard you talking with Artemis and M'gann last night, but seriously I couldn't be more proud to have a daughter like you."