Part 5

Monica Banes

I popped another bottle of wine open as I sat with Luna on the couch

I popped another bottle of wine open as I sat with Luna on the couch. "He's a total dick! I mean who purposely throws hot coffee on themselves to have someone apologize to them? What was even the logic in that? Now I bet his dumb ass has a burn." Luna threw some wine in a glass giving it to me, listening to my rant.

"He's lucky I need this job because that coffee was hitting his nuts!" Sipping wine again, Luna looked at me. "You have to chill, the man is obviously trying to get under your skin to see if you can handle being pressured or not. Plus you're going Italy!"

"Yeah a business trip to Italy."

"The point is, show him that you won't crack under any circumstances." She sipped her wine.

She was probably right. "Oh and future hubby called me today." Rolling my eyes, I poured more wine. "Oh yeah? Did she finally confess his love for you?" She hit me on my arm. "No, he told me don't forget that next week Friday is our family get together." Oh no, that's the same day as the flight to Italy. "I can't go! It's the same day as the trip!!"

"Oh shit! Another reason for your mom to hate you, check." Groaning, I called Anthony.

"Big sis, what's up?" I heard people talking in the background. Anthony is a model and he's really good at it. 

"I have to take a rain check on the family dinner." The other side became silent.

"Why?" Was all he asked.

"The job I got as a PA, I'm going on a trip with him to Italy for business and I can't cancel."

"Why the hell not, Monica?" He only calls me by my name when he's upset.

"I just got this job, Tony! I can't loose it! I need to make a living too you know!"

"Is it that really?" His voice turned bitter. I turned seeing that Luna left.

"What's the supposed to mean?" I shot back.

"I mean you never turned down a rich man before." Both of us got silent.

I can't believe he said that me to. "You think I'm some kind of gold digger? Is that how you see me?"

"Sis, I didn't mean to say that, it was out of line." His voice softened.

"You never do." With that I hung up.

"Aww, don't cry Monnie, you'll be fine." Luna wiped the stray tears that fell from my eyes. I admit what he said to me did hurt but I'm not going to let that get in my way of working. "It's nothing." She then hugged me on the couch as we snuggled like newly weds. "I love you, Monica, remember what I told you, let no one break you."

"Yeah, I hear you." I knew she meant family too. Luna's family treats me better than my own. She was the only child to them and they saw the chance to take me in and fed me. Those people might be small but they eat a lot more than you and I both know.

"Let's get you packing for your trip."

~
~
Micheal Banes

I rocked my daughter back and forth in my arms for the hundredth time

I rocked my daughter back and forth in my arms for the hundredth time. Why does she wake up in the middle of the night? "Princess stop watch daddy and sleep please." But did she listen?No. Her giggles got even louder, she thought I was playing a game. "No laughing, sleeping time."

Her big, beady, hazel, green eyes looked into mine. "I know I haven't been the best father but I will be from now on. I'll come home earlier, take you for walks and play with you more." I didn't want my daughter growing up resenting me for not showing her what my parents showed me. "When I come back from Italy, we'll have so much fun."

I didn't find a care taker in time so I asked my parents to look after her until I get back and my mom's going to get a caretaker as well. "Well since you're up let's watch some TV." I sat down on the large couch with her on my chest.

Celeb Watch

"Well Daron as we all can see that Jessica Skye is on the top of her game. Showing up to every event looking better than she did last time. I honestly don't know how she does it." A woman with golden looking her and a pink fitted dressed spoke to her co host. "I know exactly what you mean. Since her ex cheated on her, she came back with a bang!!"

I grit my teeth together listening to this shit. "I have to say, almost 10 years together and to have a child with another woman would crush me alive! But being the strong woman we've come to love, she looked passed it." The woman shook her head. "Cheaters never prosper in this game, make that a lesson to everyone." The co host agreed. "Still no information on his daughter's name either, he's trying to keep this in the dark as possible."

Videos of the woman I loathe popped up on the screen. "What could have made this man cheat? She looks like the total package! I would have put a ring on her finger." Daron joked. "Well he got what he deserves, the mother of the child disappeared on him now he looks like the living dead." Pictures of me heading to my car was shown with dark circles around my eyes. 

I had enough of this, turning the TV off, I looked down at my princess who was looking right back at me. Her tiny hands touched my face which was wet. For the first time in a year, I cried. I cried for my daughter, I cried for myself and I cried because doesn't have the mother she needs.

"I'm going to make this better for the both of us." She gave me gummy smile. "I wish I was care free like you right." She placed her head on my chest, falling asleep slowly but surely. I tried making little to no movements but then it hit me. I had to sneeze. No Micheal no! You're so close! I held my breath.

1

2

3

Phe- "ACHOO!"

Her little head perked up laughing at me. This is going to be a long night.