Part 26

Monica Rhodes

I was tired, I need a shower, I was hungry and my dad was farting the entire car ride from lunch. "Finally!" I got out the truck. "Fresh air!" Dad came out the truck and snorted. "Over dramatic as always." He walked inside and I followed. "There you are, dear! How was work?" I stopped in my tracks, I know what kind of voice that was. Mom always spoke a way when here friends were here, it would sound...rich, if that makes sense.

"Joseph, I heard that your daughter is back in town." One of mom's friends', Ingrid spoke. "Yes she is, we spent the entire day together at the garage." Ingrid hums. "She was always a strong woman." Dad grunted and mom told him to get clean for dinner. I walked in the room. "Hello ladies." They smiled at me, even though it was fake as hell. "It's been a while, Monica, how are you?" Gina spoke up. "I'm fine, busy with work."

Tina sat up, fanning herself. "Are you sure, your mother told us that you were getting rather friendly with your boss." I clenched my fists, looking at my mother. "I heard that you take care of his child as well." Tina pressed. "It's none of your business with what I do in my love life, Tina." She gasped at me. "How rude!"

Mom glared at me. "I told you! She even spoke back to me last night, it's those white people!" I rolled my eyes, I can't take this. "I am appalled by your behavior!" Ingrid turned from me. "You should be appalled at your husband for cheating on you so many times." They gasped looking at me. "Don't you dare speak to her like that!"Gina spoke.

"Oh shut up, Gina, don't make me say who he cheated on her with...oops." I smirked as the two women got up from their seats. A stinging came from my cheek. Mom looked at me with rage. "Go to your room!!" I rolled my eyes. "Gladly." In the back of me, I heard. "I have never been so humiliated in my life!!!" Gina screamed. I didn't even get to the part where, Ingrid's son wasn't even her husband's.

I took a shower and sat on the bed with my towel. I felt like I was supposed to do something. Oh shit!! I picked up my tablet and saw miss calls from Micheal. I immediately called back to see a sleepy Micheal.

"I'm so sorry! I wasn't home for the day! My dad and-" He cut me off

"It's fine baby, you were with your dad." He yawns once more.

My baby, Andrea. "She's sleeping, don't worry." Guilt hit me in the stomach.

"I'm so sorry. Did she cry?" I felt a lump in my throat.

"She...she cried a lot when you weren't answering, I had to walk her until she calmed down."

A tear slipped out. "My poor baby."

"No crying, Monica, it was an accident, I understand."

I bit my lip. "Hey, you wanna talk about your day with me?"

He knew it always made me feel better to talk about my day. "You're tired, Micheal, go to bed."

He shook his head, his eyes fighting to stay open, "No, I'll be okay baby, you talk."

I smiled softly at him. "Well... we went to the-" I giggled as I heard snores. "Goodnight, Micky." I hung up and saw my brother walk in my room.

"I made an excuse saying you weren't feeling well and can't make it to dinner, your welcome." He handed me a plate with food on it. "Don't worry I took out your food, not mom so you don't have to worry about poisoning." He smiled causing me to chuckle. "Thanks." He probably heard mom talking about it. "Don't worry, dad thinks it was funny which is making mom even more angry." Mom was mean but she was never stupid enough to cheat on dad. Every woman in this town wanted my dad but he chose my mom.

Stupid, right?

 But I wouldn't be here today if they hadn't gotten together.

"Tomorrow, mom is hosting the town's BBQ." That made me groan. "Why?" I whined out and he gave me a look. "Cause she wants to look good, duh, that's why she ever does anything." I kicked him out my room and changed. Soon there was another knock and it surprisingly wasn't mom, it was dad. "Hey, kiddo, I heard that it's the time of the month." He pats mu back.

That dick told them I was getting period cramps! "If I knew, I wouldn't have you working so hard." Dad had respect for me when the month comes because when I first got it, I was in so much pain that I passed out and blood flowed out on the floor. He thought I was dying and rushed me to the hospital. Since then he treats me like a lady that's about to give birth any second. "It's fine dad." I kissed his cheek, causing him to smile.

Then he got serious. "Your mother wasn't always like this." He looked at me then held my hand. "She wasn't always demanding, rude and fake." I was shocked. "Really? What happened?" He sighed. "A long time ago, your mother was the woman every man wanted, including me. She was sweet, kind, loving, she was smart, she didn't show any kind of hate to another. Women in this town envied her but all she did was show love to them."

He looked at me smiling. "That's when I decided that I wanted to make her happier than she already was. I worked my ass off for years, then I asked her parents to take her on a date then before you knew it we were dating and then married. I had saved up every last penny to buy her a house and a car and the biggest diamond. I spoiled her a lot and then she gave me you." He kissed my head.

"Your mom started boasting about her house and the jewelry and her poor friends became beggars in her eyes, she became friends with the same women who wanted her dead and now she feels like she has this image to keep." He shook his head. "Then why don't you talk to her about it?" Dad bit his lip and thought about it for a minute.

"It never really dawned on me how bad she became." With that he got up. "I'll leave you alone now, see you in the morning?" I nod with a smile on my face. "Love you." He kissed my head before walking out. "Love you too dad."