Part 14

Micheal Banes

"Andrea Renee Banes, you crawl back here this instant." I playfully called out for her as she squealed. I'm at my parents' home spending time with her before I go back out to work. She's turning one soon and I still can't believe it. She's been trying to walk but it's getting there slowly. "Dada!!" She looked at me with her big, innocent eyes. "Look at you two, being so cute together." I turned to see my mom and dad. "You couldn't help yourself, Silvia." My dad shook his head sitting down on the couch. "You know I'm a sucker for cute things, Peter." She waved him off, picking Andrea up. "It's time for you to get back to work."

She was right, I kissed my daughter then my mom stopped me. "Just wait a minute, Peter come look at this." My father then came to my view with a smile. "Is there something on my face?" My mother looked like she was about to cry and I'm here so confused. "What's going on?" I went to look in the mirror but saw nothing. "My baby boy finally looks happy." Stopping, I turned to her.

"Yeah mom, I guess I'm happy." My father smiled. "I know your daughter is part of the reason but who's the next reason." He raised his grey brow at me. "There's no one dad, I just think it's time to move on and that's what I'm doing." With that I went back to my job with a dumb smile on my face.|
~
~
~
When I walked in, I saw Payne and Monica talking and by the looks of it, she was flirting. "I'll see you later then." With that he walked away and she turned to see me. I know I shouldn't be jealous but it made me so mad that he could be so easy going with her and I'm here struggling. "Hey, sir, I didn't know you got back, how's pretty girl going?" She was talking about my daughter. "She's fine, she's turning one soon."

Monica smiled. "What are you going to do for her birthday?" I never really thought about to do. "You haven't thought about it? How about a little get together with the family and you guys have cake and dress her up like a little princess." She suggested which didn't sound so bad. "I'll see about it later, let's get some work done."

As we got to our floor, there stood Mira. God can I get a break from this woman. "Oh, she's back I see." She fiddled with her nails. Why were they so long? "Respect other worker, Mira." Monica rolled her eyes. "Sir, can I talk to you in private?" She glared at Monica. "I think it's best if you told him now because unlike you, he's busy." I smirked slightly. "What is it?" I asked her. "Well I was wondering, since we both don't have a date to the charity ball I was thinking the both of us can go."

She really asked me that. "Well I'm going with Monica, since she's my PA and all." Mira's face turned red with anger. "Really? I thought she would be going with Payne since they're dating and all. He said he was going to ask you to be his date." Dating? I turned to Monica who shook her head. "What Payne and I are is none of your business, Mira. If you didn't know already, I told Payne that I was going with my boss as his PA."

"You can leave now." I dismissed her, walking past her. Dating? I guess she didn't feel what I felt for her. "You want anything sir?" I turned. "Get me a coffee, black and who do I have now?" She looked at the tablet in her hand. "You have Mr. Graham coming in a couple minutes to finalize the upgrades in the eastern side. Then a board meeting with the heads of each committee."

"Okay then." With that she left. I looked around my cameras in the building and saw Payne with Mira. A brow raised as I looked at them. They were both talking then that led to making out and that led to sex, yup, sex in the lunch room. "That's disturbing." I turned it off and then smiled. Dating? I don't think so. Monica soon came back with my coffee. "What as you smiling all of a sudden?"

"Some things just work out for the best, Monica." She nods. "You're right, sir." With that she walked out the room.

~
~
~

I sat on my chair when Monica walked in. "Sir, a Jessica Skye is on line 4." My heart dropped in my ass. What does she even want? I looked at my phone. Was I really going to talk to this woman after she left me with a child and a broken heart? I picked the phone up, placing it by my ear. 

"I know you're listening to me Micheal, you don't have to talk." Her voice, it's been so long since I've heard it. My breathing picked up as I shock.

"I just called to see how you were doing. Still single I see and you kept the bastard as well. Don't get me wrong, I know she's your daughter and all but she's dragging you down. You're successful and young and single!"

I still didn't speak, I couldn't find my voice. "I just wanted to tell you that I missed you and I was thinking about getting back together. Think about it, the press would be off your back and things can go back to normal and -"

"I would rather you just die." With that I hung up. So many emotions ran through me all at once. I needed some air. How can she even think about getting back with me after she made it clear that she wanted nothing with me and our child? She must be crazy. There was a small knock and Monica came in. "Sir I came to rem- are you okay?" I must have looked like complete shit right now.

"I'm fine, what did you come for?" She looked at me with concern but sighed. "The meeting with your heads of the committees right now, you're about fifteen minutes late." I thanked her as she walked out. Get it together Micheal.