Old Friends

LAUREN

Dinah Jane Hansen is here. Our Dinah in high school. Our Dinah that sucks in English but a genius in Math. Our Dinah who carried Ally all the way to the Clinic when Ally pretended to passed out so Ally could have an excuse not to take the Biology test she forgot to study about. Talk about being a supportive friend, right?

The Dinah that will always see through Normani's bullshit.

The Dinah that would always have my back. Well, most of the times unless she was pulling a prank.

"Dj, if my mom calls you or text you saying 'you girls have fun' just say we will."

"Well sure if you're actually here helping me out with my laundry that sure is fun."

"Great!"

"Wait, Lo! You know I will lie for you but can you just tell me at least where exactly you are going?"

I heard buzzing.

"Mani and I are going to a party."

"Hmm—What?" Dinah said panting on the phone was she doing her laundry or running?

"Mani and I— Is that the dryer?!" I asked because the buzzing would not stop.

"Did you say Ma—ni?" She said a little out of breath.

"I SAID MANI AND I ARE GOING TO RAVEN'S PARTY!"

The buzzing stopped.

"MANI IS GOING TO RAVEN'S PARTY?! THE SAME RAVEN THAT FLIRTS WITH HER IN P.E?!" Dinah yelled on the phone and I thought I just lost my right ear.

"WHAT THE FUCK DINAH! WHY ARE YOU YELLING!"

"YOU YELLED FIRST! THEN YOU SAID MANI IS GOING TO THAT HOE'S PARTY!"

"I YELLED BECAUSE THE BUZZING OF YOUR DRYER IS FUCKING NOISY! AND I SAID MANI AND I NOT JUST MANI WE ARE BOTH GOING!"

I don't know why the hell was I still yelling but what the hell.

"WHAT DRYER?!" She paused confused and after a beat she said "OH THAT WAS BROWNIE. I KNOW YOU ARE BOTH GOING AND WHY WASN'T I INVITED? OR ALLY?"

"WHO THE FUCK IS BROWNIE? MANI SAID SHE ASKED YOU ALREADY AND YOU REFUSED COS APPARENTLY RAVEN IS A BITCH AND YOU DON'T LIKE HER AND ALLY WELL SHE HAS A BOYFRIEND SO SHE'S BUSY OBVIOUSLY."

"BROWNIE IS MY VIBRATOR! AND FUCK NO! MANI DIDN'T INVITE ME!"

I gasped. Did I hear her right?

"BROWNIE IS A VIBRATOR??!" I yelled a little louder than before and my mom decided to just appear at my door at that very moment. She was frowning probably thinking if she heard me correctly. I have to think fast so I spoke again for my mom's benefit only, "BROWNIE IS A LABRADOR??" I heard Dinah muttered something but I ignore it. I subtly look at my mom then continued, "BROWNIE IS SURE CUTE NAME FOR LABRADOR, DJ!" I made sure that I put much emphasis on Labrador so my mother could hear it. Yes my mom, I said Labrador.

Mom walks to my hamper and looks at me.
"Why are you yelling? I'm sure Dinah is not deaf, honey." Mom said while she digs into my dirty clothes.

Oh sure she isn't. It's just her vibrator impaired our hearing.

"I just got a lil excited for her new Labrador mom." I chuckled nervously.

"Well, do you want a Labrador too?" My mom asked.

"Uhm— I mean— I do but not... now?" Jesus. Labrador ate my tongue apparently since I can't talk straight.

"Okay, sure honey." My mom said then smirked before she left my room. What was that for mom!