III : Snowy Rain

Selena's POV

The sun had set and just like she described, the twilight roamed the city. It was a twenty minute walk towards their house. Music sounded from my headphones, underneath my hood. Wet snow fell from the sky, and I didn't want my long hair and headphones to get wet. As my thick boots dragged my feet towards the house, my head was raging with thoughts.

I was about to meet her again. I couldn't wait to see those fierce eyes and sinister smile again. I wondered why in the world she wanted me to meet her up at the back door. Was this appointment made behind my cousin's back? She interrupted me when I tried to answer what we were talking about. She didn't want her to know. How was she going to sneak out without Wen noticing? What exactly were we going to do? It seemed as if she would know as if she was going to show me something. This was crazy. Wen was going to know and I didn't want to create any family drama. And we've only known each other for a day.

I stopped walking and looked up at the snowy rain, trying to think of what to do. The tiny drops fell in my direction like sparkles, lighting up due to the street light I was standing close to. I turned my body back to where I came from. Where's your dignity, Selena? You deserve better than some sort of family drama relationship. Suddenly, the words repeated in my head. "Just as friends." It didn't feel like that since the very beginning, but the excuse was enough for me. "Just as friends. Just as friends." Repeated to myself, nodding. I turned back around and this time widened my steps. Late was the last thing I wanted to be right now. I knew exactly where to go since it was Wen's house as well. I knew her girlfriend paid for it, so it wasn't technically hers, but her girlfriend was never home when I was around. Before I knew it, I had already reached their street.

I looked up at the small house but immediately jogged away from the front of it. I didn't want Wen to see me. I stepped towards the back of the house, ending up in a small square. I put my hands in my pocket, looked at the back door. My eyes shifted up, as I noticed a light from the second floor getting turned off. Two arms closed the curtains in a second. Was it her? My heart started beating faster the moment I realized she would come out of the back door at any second. I was going to see her again.

I could feel my ears point to the back of my head when I heard a soft whistle from behind. I turned around. It was Demi. She stood on the other side of the small square with her familiar curly long hair. One hand in her pocket and the other fidgeting with something in her hand. I couldn't help but smile. I was happy to see her again. She now held up what she had in her hand, it was an acorn. She threw it on the ground, near the bushes on my left. "Oops." She said. No hello, no greetings, just a single oops. I assumed she meant I should pick it up. I didn't really think about it really, let alone why she threw it, my legs already headed to the small object to grab it for her. I'd pick up anything if she dropped it. As soon as I got up to give it back to her, she had disappeared. I quickly walked to where she stood and looked at the tiny alley she had walked into. Her head turned to me for a second, as a smile was visible through the dark. I quickly followed her, running towards her to walk next to the figure. I held up my hand, holding the acorn between my fingers. She gave a nod and took it, leaving a smile behind. It was quiet for a while, as she led me into the woods. I should say something.

"I'm glad to see you again." I spoke, looking at her. She kept her eyes on the direction we were going, without responding. She only kept this small smile on her face. Mine, however, disappeared slowly. Didn't she want me to talk? It was quite hard to guess what she wanted. The area around us looked more and more like a forest. Wet snow still flew down. I looked around, observing the scenery. I had a hard time keeping up with her big steps. She wasn't much taller than me, but she simply had a high tempo.