XXIV : Hunting Her

Selena's POV

My feet crunched in the snow, taking steps through the streets of the city. I was in the middle of an area full of nightclubs. I could smell the alcohol people radiated from here. With my hands in my pockets and my hood on my head, I scanned the area for small alleys. Of course, I always kept an eye out for Demi or her friends, but I knew she wouldn't go out on a Tuesday after a hard day of work. I made my way towards an alley around the corner of a club, coming across several groups of people, smoking weed and drinking. I no longer cared for my safety, I went wherever my feet took me. I joined a group, scanning their faces. They all looked surprised at me. "I'm looking for a hacker."

I placed my laptop on top of a garbage bin, behind a house he led me to. I had forgotten his name already, I simply needed his skill. The young man looked around, making sure no one was watching. "What needs to be hacked?" "The cameras of my girlfriend's house." "For real?" He looked at me with a smile, finding it ridiculous. "Does it look like I'm kidding?" I raised an eyebrow. He shook his head, rolled his eyes and held up his hand. The gesture was clear. I quickly took my wallet and placed a handful of money on the palm of his hand. He counted how much I gave him, before taking my laptop. "Please tell me you were smart enough to write down her current IP-adress?" "I know it by heart." "Go on ahead." I typed her IP-address into the command system.

After half an hour of trying to get through the system, I felt satisfaction when I saw images of her garden at nighttime. "Here you go. Whenever her IP changes, just type it in here and do this." He instructed me. I closed the laptop and placed it back in my bag. I made my way to the end of the alley, reminding myself to stay slightly formal. "Thank you." I said, before leaving the boy behind.

My eyes were on the screen, looking at the pixelated gardens outside Demi's house. My fingers played with the tip of my favorite knife that I had taken from the storage, behind my closet. My lips lightly play-backed to the lyrics of the music I was listening to. The rest of my body sat against my pillow on my bed. Every once in a while I checked the time, waiting for it to become 11 pm. It's the time she'd usually be in bed, sleeping like a rose. It was still 10 pm at the moment, it was still early. 

My heart jumped when I saw the lights in the garden being turned on on my laptop screen. Half of the door being opened was visible, before being closed again. I saw the top of her head, with her wavy hair doing something off screen, before her full body appeared. She locked the doors of her shed. I tried to get a glimpse of her face but didn't see more than her cheekbone. She rubbed her arms while walking towards the wooden door of her fence. She was cold.

The pen went over my notebook. '10:12: Locking doors. No jacket in the snow.' I tried writing blindly, not letting a single moment I was able to see her pass. My jaw dropped when I saw her looking around, opening the fence and scanning the surrounding of her garden for a moment before she locked the door of the fence as well. I didn't believe she was still thinking about me. She still checked if I was there. I felt honored. I held my breath when she started to turn around, barely ready to see her beautiful face. I had to quickly close my laptop when someone knocked on the door of my room. I quickly hid my knife under my pillow. "Yeah?"

My mom opened the door, lighting up my dark room with the lamp of the hallway. "Jees, I can't see a thing." She turned on the light, making me blink. Why did she have to disturb me? What could be so important? I was about to see Demi's face again, perhaps it would be my last chance. My mom placed a stack of folded clothes on my desk and sat down on my bed. "Tell me, how are you doing sweetie?" She placed a hand on my leg that still laid under my blanket. "I'm fine." I frowned, wanting her to leave. "Yeah? You don't look very fine. I'm a little worried about you." "Why?" "You barely eat. You've lost weight since the break-up. Your cheekbones are starting to jut out." She placed her fingers on my chin for a moment. A slight smile was visible on her face. She was trying to stay sweet by not mention my massive grade drop.