XIII : Music And Smoke

Demi's POV

"So what did you need again?" "Ropes, silk ropes." I replied, looking at the windows of the different shops me and my friends, Genesis and Sandy, walked by. We had already stopped four times, just because Sandy wanted to visit another shop to buy clothes. I knew these two idiots from college. Genesis had to do over one year, so she was still in her senior year. Sandy and I made it just last year. I still remember when we graduated, it was the happiest moment of our lives. Sandy got a job at a boutique store, but we both had the same plan, start a family when the time was right. Genesis, however, has been dying to do something with animals, like a zookeeper. She's been talking about it since the first day we met her.

"What do you need them for anyway?" Sandy asked, struggling to hold her bags of clothes. I hadn't thought of a good excuse. I needed them for Selena, but I couldn't tell them that. "I wanted to use them for the garden. The wind keeps messing up the trees these days, they need support." I blabbed. They shrugged shoulders, not exactly knowing if I was talking bullshit or not. They both didn't have a house yet, let alone their own garden. We walked into a construction market and it didn't take long for me to find the ropes. "They're actually quite cheap." I said to my surprise. "What did you expect? They're ropes." Genesis spoke while looking at her phone. "I suppose you're right." I took a few of them of different sizes and thickness and walked to the counter.

We sat down at a snack bar restaurant to buy some drinks and ice cream. Genesis and Sandy whispered to each other for a second, before looking at me. I poked with my spoon in my cup with ice cream as my eyes shifted to the two weirdos sitting next to each other, on the opposite benches. A slight smile appeared on my face, wondering what they were talking about. "So, I'm sure Selena will love those ropes as well. They have a nice color." Sandy spoke. I looked up at them, as they waited for my response. "I'm sure she will." I replied, focussing back on my ice cream. They're on to me. "Cut the crap, Misses Smith. We know what those ropes are actually for. We might be stupid but not dumb." Genesis smiled, daring to confront me about it. "That's the same thing." I grinned. "Do you actually think all that talk about Wen not being 'interesting' enough didn't hide any signs? That Selena girl must be like a pet of yours by now."

They were absolutely right, but somehow I wasn't able to tell whether they would accept it or not. Selena was indeed my so-called 'pet' now, but did they mind? And should I even worry about it? It's my business, not theirs. I could feel myself getting slightly nervous about it. I didn't want to lose my friends, just because I chose a certain lifestyle.

"Well, what if she is?" I raised my eyebrows, not showing any of my worries, taking a bite of my ice cream. Genesis and Sandy looked at each other for a moment. Their faces were shocked. This is it, I thought. They're going to walk away with disgust about my tendencies to dominate my partner. I could see their faces light up all of a sudden. "6 bucks, here we go!" Genesis raised her hand, to which Sandy groaned and grabbed her wallet to pay off her debt. I couldn't help but burst out laughing. My worries were misplaced, badly. "How did you guys know?" "You never let anyone bring you down. And you've always been a weirdo when it comes to relationships. Vanilla was never enough for you. We figured this was the answer." Genesis answered. "Well, Gen did, but I thought it was just you being weird." Sandy laughed, giving the 6 bucks to Genesis. 

"I didn't know about it until I met her actually. It's like she woke up a part of me." "That's adorable. Nobody ever touches your personality. She must be special." Sandy said. "That's not true." I smiled with a frown. "Oh yes, it is." "It is." "You guys are crazy." I chuckle. "No, but really, the only thing that changed during your high school years it that you became even more confident than you already are." Genesis widened her eyes while talking, basically admiring me. I grinned. "Thanks."