Chapter 23 - Becoming a Badass

When we arrive at the mall it's buzzing with activity, shoppers browsing stores and friends catching up over a plate of food. Before I have the chance to think about what I need Erika is marching off into the nearest store. I follow closely behind as she wades through the clothes and dumps the ones she likes in my arms.

I walk into the changing room and try them all on, Erika smiles, frowns, claps her hands and grins or mocks disgust. I laugh at her variety of emotions and close the curtain to try on another. When it's time to pay for my mountain of clothes Erika holds out a jet black credit card to the cashier with a grin. "I can't let you pay." I say, blocking Erika from handing it to the woman.

Erika laughs and I frown in confusion, "oh honey I'm not paying, your dad is." She proceeds to hand the card over and grabs the bags. We enter more and more stores the same thing happening each time. How much money does my father have?!

After four hours of intense shopping Erika and I fall into some chairs in a cafe. Sweat glistens on our foreheads from the heavy bags and my feet are aching from all the walking. I fill my nostrils with the warm scent of coffee and instantly relax, I would kill for a good book right now but, badass girls don't read books. I scold myself, even though it breaks my heart to let go my love of reading.

"Willow what do you want?" Erika asks, snapping me out of my daydream. I meet her eyes instantly as she waits for my response, "an iced latte please." I smile, she nods and walks to the counter to make our order.

When Erika returns with our drinks I take a sip through the straw, the heavenly taste of coffee filling my mouth, I have to hold back a groan it's so good. "Let's get down to business." Erika states, staring at me with her dark eyes.

"Let's." I agree taking another sip of my coffee.

"We have the badass clothes for you, now we need to make you into a badass. Starting tomorrow you are going to put these three months to use." My eyes widen as I fear for what she's going to make me do.

"You will have early morning fighting lessons with Zack starting at 7am," I choke on my coffee and have a coughing fit.

"7am?!" I exclaim. Erika chuckles and takes a swig of her hot chocolate. "Yes Willow. Now let me continue." She rolls her eyes and my cheeks turn pink.

"You will get ready for the day and then have a driving lesson with me at 11am for two hours. After that we can eat lunch and do fun stuff until you meet your dad at 8pm for a short lesson about how to lead a gang. Sound good?" She smiles.

I slowly nod my head. "This is going to be so fun." I say sarcastically. "It won't be that bad," Erika grins "the masquerade Ball is in a month, that should be fun."

"Masquerade ball?" I question raising a brow, it rings a bell from when Alec and the boys told me about everything but I can't remember the details.

Erika claps her hands with a grin. "Oh it's the best day of the year! Your dad throws one for all the gangs in the country and it's a great opportunity to form alliances and dance with hot gang members. You'll love it, trust me." I think about it for a while and excitement spreads through me like a wildfire, that all goes out when I realise that he will be there with Noah and Issac. A frown forms on my face as I hold back the tears.

"Hey, it's ok willow, you won't have to talk to him." Erika reassures as if she can read my mind. "How about we go back home and just talk about ourselves because, I don't really know you very well." Erika offers with a soft smile. I return it and stand up. "That sounds good." We pick up all our shopping bags and start to walk back to the car.

As we're strolling through the shopping mall having a light conversation Erika stops in her tracks and her face turns as hard as stone. "Hey, you ok?" I ask stopping beside her. I follow her gaze to a tall guy with tattoos, blonde hair and poisonous green eyes. He wears a evil smirk on his lips and walks towards us.