Chapter 24 - Real smiles and ice-cream

We all pile onto my bed and crack open the ice cream tubs, scooping out generous amounts. The sweet taste rolls over my tongue as I grin. Zack snatches the tub from my hands and takes the biggest spoonful I've ever seen in my whole life. He stares at my angry eyes with a smirk on his plump lips. Erika hands me hers as my eyes light up. She gives me a nod and turns to a confused Zack.

I begin to giggle when I realise what she's about to do. She grabs the tub from his fingertips in a blink of an eye and then shoves him off the bed, we hear a loud thump followed by a groan. Zack's head of curly hair shoots up from the side of the bed with a deep scowl on his face.

Erika and I laugh as Zack climbs back on to the bed and leans back into the cushions getting comfortable.

"So what's your story?"  He asks snatching the tub off Erika again. "Way to be subtle Zack." Erika rolls her eyes annoyed with her cousin. He shrugs and waits for my reply. I glance between his eager golden eyes and Erika's annoyed dark ones.

"What's going on?" I ask, it being obvious that they're up to something. "Zack you're so stupid." Erika hisses, not replying to me. She slaps Zack in the arm and he rubs the sore spot. "We were going to ask her sooner or later." He argues.

"Seriously....What's going on?" I raise my voice, their voices becoming small. "Look I'm going to be blunt," Erika says exasperated, sending Zack a scowl. "We were curious why you were so upset when you came here and why you were so angry when you saw that guy." She explains staring at her chipped finger nails.

"I wanted to wait until we knew each other better to ask but Zack just blurted it out." She lifts her head and her dark eyes soften when they meet mine.

I shift in the bed, I really don't want to have to explain everything that happened to me and Alec and everyone else I considered my friend. When you are betrayed it's hard to shake it off and carry on and I fear if I talk about it I'll break down.

"Well it's a long story." I mumble, wringing my hands together uncomfortably. I start to weigh up whether I should tell them or not. Would they laugh, empathise or just not care. I release a large breath and meet their eyes.

"We have time." Zack says softly, giving me a small smile that in any other situation I would blush hard at.

"Well I had some close friends who were involved in gangs," I start, watching them closely. "My best friend and I got really close with them and sadly I fell for one too." I notice my voice shaking and tears well up in my eyes, I stare at my lap hiding my face.

"When me and him were at what seemed like a great place in our relationship, he drugged me and took me here. What was upsetting is that in my eyes and their eyes my father was dangerous and when I found out about his hunt for me I wondered if he wanted to kill me. He didn't care about my safety, he cared about the reward." I sniffle, wiping my fallen tears.

"This morning I found out that it was my best friend who told them my true identity and that was the biggest betrayal of all." I lift my head and see them both staring back at me with sad expressions.

"Sorry," I mutter. "I hope that answers your questions."

"Willow...I am so sorry you had to go through that." Erika whispers. "If I ever see any of those assholes, I will personally kill them." She says too seriously for my liking. I laugh weakly and she pulls me into an unexpected hug. I wrap my arms around her and lean on her shoulder. "I know we just met, but I will always be here for you, right by your side." She smiles as we pull away. Another tear slips down my cheek and I'm thankful for my new found friend.

Zack clears his throat and we both turn to him. "Can I give you a hug too." He asks with a breathtaking smile. I laugh and give him a hug, his strong arms wrapping around my small waist. After a few moments Erika wraps her arms around the both of us, making a group hug. I never felt so supported and safe than I do in the arms of these people, I allow a real smile spread across my face for the first time since I got here.

**********

I hear a loud bang beside my head, waking me from my sleep. I sit up in my comfortable bed, my hair a tangled mess on my head. I peel open my eyes and see a grining Zack standing at the foot of my bed. "Rise and shine princess, it's time for training."

I moan and flop back down in my bed, pulling the covers back over my head. I hear his chuckle and the sheets are ripped off my body. "I won't ask again." He warns clear humour shining bright in his honey eyes.

I get out of bed and grab some workout clothes Erika and I bought yesterday and head to the bathroom to get ready. I jump into the shower and tie my hair into a high ponytail before pulling on a grey sports bra and matching yoga pants. I emerge from the bathroom and see a grinning Zack standing in front of me. "Ready?" He asks.

"You are way too happy this early in the morning." I complain, following Zack to the home gym. On our way we pass by a few of the gang members giving them bright smiles as we go. Harry sees us as we're about to enter the gym and stops us.

"Nice to see you're getting into the swing of things around here." He smiles at me, placing a kiss on my forehead. I don't know what to think about the gesture, I don't think I'm ready for that affection from him yet.

"Yeah, it's great." I force a smile.

"Well I'll leave you to it." He walks back into his mysterious office and shuts the door.

Zack and I enter the gym, it's a pearly white colour and a wall of mirrors stands before me. There is workout machines in one corner and punching bags hanging from the ceiling in the other. In the middle there are mats on the floor,  I'm guessing are used for fighting.

"We'll work on your strength then on your fighting." Zack smiles, leading me to one of the workout machines.

After an hour of lifting weights and doing various exercises, I sit on the ground a thin layer of sweat covering my body. "You're stronger than you look, I'll give you that." Zack says, dropping down on the floor beside me.

I was strong for my appearance, Ivy and I used to go to the gym on the weekends together. We always challenged each other pushing ourselves to the edge. I got good at strength and built up a bit of muscle but nothing too crazy.

I smile up at Zack as he stands pulling me to my feet. "Now for the fun part." He grins and I internally groan.

He wraps up my hands and we begin with punching and kicks for the next while. After I've learnt the basics he starts sending blocks and hits towards me. I have to admit that I was enjoying it, as I jump over his swinging leg and punch his padded hand again.

Another hour passed by quickly and I am now laying flat out on the floor panting. "I didn't realise you were such a quick learner, at this rate you'll be ready for a fight by the end of the week." My eyes widen in worry and he chuckles. "Nothing too big, just an easy one against someone here, they'll go easy I promise." He reassures, pushing back his sweaty curly hair that had matted against his forehead.

As my breathing evens out we turn our heads to the door as Erika steps inside. "Jeez you look horrible and smell horrible too." She complains walking in.

"Thanks Erika," I roll my eyes. "What do you need?" I ask with a small smile.

"We're having a driving lesson." She grins back at me, light sparkling in her dark eyes.

🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆
A/N: thanks for reading this chapter, I just love how long they are, hope you all love that too! Let me know your thoughts are on Erika and Zack so far, I'd be interested to know! Anyway thanks for being patient with the updates it means a lot.

Sarah xx

Song recommendation:
All I Want To Hear You Say -
sea girls