Chapter 39 - Some Highschool Romance

I catch a quick glance at Alec but he shows a blank face, his swirling blue eyes empty of any emotion. "I'm sorry we've just sprung this on you," Liam starts calmly looking at Alec. "But after everything that's happened here, I need a fresh start."

"Where will you go?" Issac asks.

"We're heading to Chicago, Noah's found an apartment there for us and there's some good jobs there too."

I don't have to look over at Alec to tell he's  uneasy about this news. He's strong, smart and caring and there's no doubt in my mind that he would make a great leader but, he might not think the same.

"We'll miss you." Ivy says with a weak smile. Just as she finishes Alec slides out of the booth and walks out of the diner without another word. We all watch the door swing shut behind him in silence. "We should have told him sooner." Noah mutters under his breath.

I can't help but agree, they should have spoken to Alec privately and made sure he was okay with being leader instead of telling him a life changing announcement in front of everyone like this.

"I'll go talk to him." I say sliding out of the booth as Liam sends me a grateful yet forced smile. I walk outside into the parking lot the sun beating down on me, I squint searching for Alec's tall form and broad shoulders. Finally I spot him sitting on the curb his head in his hands and his fingers raking through his curly hair.

I walk over slowly and sit down beside him, hugging my knees closer to myself. "Alec..." I start but he cuts me off. "He took away my future and treated it like I should thank him. Believe it or not I actually had a plan and now that's been crushed." He speaks more to himself than me but I listen regardless. My heart almost breaks at his blue eyes and the sorrow they hold.

"What was your plan?" I whisper searching his eyes when he turns to look at me. I reach for his hand and hold it tightly in mine.

"I would go to college and get myself a degree while living a normal life for those few years, after that I would go back to the gang and help Liam like I am now. I knew from the start that I would take over as leader since I'm his brother but, I didn't think it would be so soon."

"You'll make an amazing leader Alec, a much better one than Liam, in my opinion." I glance down at our intertwined hands.

"I'm not ready Willow." He breathes.

"Don't tell yourself that, you are you just don't know it."

"Liam knew the solutions to problems I couldn't even imagine happening, he knew his place as leader and gave orders. I'm scared I won't be able to do the same." His voice is small and frightened, an emotion I'm not used to seeing Alec experience.

"It's not always good to be a stone cold leader Alec, you will be even better because you'll care about your gang and their feelings unlike Liam."

"As long as I have Issac and you I'll be alright." He smiles for the first time this evening flashing his pearly white teeth. I lean forward and capture his lips in mine, as our lips move together butterflies crowd my stomach and my heart swells.

As we pull apart we rest our foreheads against each other enjoying the heat from the dying evening sun casting a golden glow over the parking lot. "Join the gang and lead with me by my side," Alec whispers. "Be my Queen."

My breathing hitches and as I open my mouth to reply but he cuts me off leaning  back. "You've gotten the training and learnt how to fight, race and shoot. I can't be without you again so, join me."

I'm speechless and don't know how to reply. Similar to Alec I had my own dreams for my future. To go to college, get a normal job, make new friends and live a happy life. Joining the San Francisco gang was not part of that dream.

"Alec... I can't." I say so quietly I'm not sure he heard.

"Why not?"

"I have dreams and goals and being a gangster isn't part of them." My eyes drop to my fidgeting hands and I feel like I just broke an already broken man.

"But I love you Willow, doesn't love always win?"

"I love you too but, I can't throw away my future for some high school romance!" Tears well up in my eyes as I watch Alec flinch like I just slapped him in the face.

"A 'high school romance', is that was this is to you?" If you looked up the word hurt in the dictionary, the definition would be a picture of Alec's face right now. I immediately regret what I had said as my heart falls to my stomach.

"Alec...I didn't mean.." I try to explain myself but he holds a hand up that silences me. "Clearly, we both have a different definition of what love means."

He stands from the curb and starts to walk away, his head hanging low. I grab onto his arm and pull him to face me. "Can't we just talk about this, this isn't just a small decision for me to make."

He pulls his arm from my grasp and stares me dead in the eye. "I need time and space." With that he turns again and walks to his car, gets in and speeds out of the parking lot, the sound of his car's engine fading in the distance.

I bury my head in my hands and sit on the ground of an empty parking space. Tears pour from my eyes as my chest tightens and I realise how horrible my words were to Alec. He was certainly more than just a high school romance but I didn't know how else to decline his offer, I couldn't find the right words so the wrong ones tumbled out of my mouth. These past few months learning about gang life has made me realise just how much I want a normal and happy life. Alec means so much to me and what frightens me most is the thought of losing him.

I feel a hand on my back and flinch at its warm touch. I raise my head and meet dark brown eyes that are warm and welcoming. Noah brushes the tears on my cheeks away and helps me to my feet keeping a supportive arm around my waist. "Do you want to talk about it?"

I sigh and look down at my feet. "At first I was telling him how he would make such a great leader and everything was good then, he asked me to join the gang and I declined. I don't want to live a life of violence and fear, I want a normal life full of happiness."

"What did he say?" Noah asks his eyes trained of me, hanging on my every word.

I gulp, "He said that love wins all and I said I wasn't going to throw away my future for some high school romance, which was stupid of me because I know it's not just some high school romance, it's much more than that. The words just fell out of my mouth before I could think." I look up at Noah and he's looking down at me with sad eyes.

"Willow, everyone with eyes can see that you and Alec are more than just some fling. What you need to do is give him some time to cool down then apologise and just be honest with him. If you love each other you'll find a way around this."

I nod at Noah's wise words as he leads me to his and Liam's car. "We'll take you home." He smiles and opens the door for me.

To say the car journey was awkward would be an understatement, as much as I love Noah, Liam and I's relationship isn't so great. There was an uncomfortable silence the whole way home. I knew Liam was dying to know what happened between Alec and I but, we weren't close enough for him to ask.

We pull up in front of my house after what felt like forever. "Thanks for the ride." With that I get out and walk inside not turning back until the door was closed behind me.

I close my eyes and let a few more tears fall as I lean against the door. When I open them again Erika is standing in front of me confused. Her navy hair is curled to perfection and she is wearing comfy joggers and a baggy t shirt.

"What happened?" She asks her eyes taking in my tear stained cheeks and deep frown.

That's when I fall into her open arms and explain everything while she just listens and strokes my head.

                        🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆

A/N: another chapter done! This one took me a while but I finally finished. If you enjoyed it make sure to vote and comment!
Sarah xoxo

Song recommendation:
Hurricane - Grizfolk