Chapter 3: Chal•lenges (Pt.1)

Challenges-
To test your abilities of

...

Chapter 3
January 22nd, 1943
Surrey, England

~Testing day~

As the morning sun began to light up the night winter sky into a warm purple, the sound of an out of tune bugle sounded disrupting not only the peaceful animals who were ready to do their peaceful morning call but also the men who were sleeping soundly in their dreamworld without a care. All was at peace until the noisy notes invaded the recruits sensitive ears.

Awaking to the awful noise from the outside, the raven haired boy twisted onto his stomach reaching for his pillow to cover his ears yet he hadn't even the time to do so, for an obnoxious shout called from the front interrupting his attempt. He only wanted to stay asleep for a few minutes longer, was that too much to ask for?

"GET UP! UP! UP! RISE AND SHINE LASSIES!" Then there was a bang of metal which sounded like a metal spoon and pot being crashed together. "TODAY IS TESTING DAY! THE DAY TO SEE WHAT IS YOUR DESTINED RANK!"

With a long "ugh" Zayn finally fluttered his eyes open and forced his limp lethargic body up off the bed. 'Barracks?' he'd almost forget he was at training camp. He slept a short time but it was enough to for him to forget the dreadful place he was in for the night.

"Morning, love." Harry greeted with a big smile, not a single evident sign of tiredness nor sleep in his eyes. 'A morning person..' Zayn internally rolled his eyes in disgust, he despised morning people.

"Morning." Zayn yawned, opening his mouth like a whale.

Harry just chuckled while going for his bag to pull out his training uniform "I think I'm gonna hold off on a shower till after testing. We're gonna get all sweaty and stinky anyways so what's the point?"

The Bradford teen snorted at his choice of words yet deep down he was kinda jealous that Harry was a morning person and how he fucking woke up looking like a fresh prince, he had not a single flaw.

All the while Zayn could feel the hardening sleep sand in his eyes. He was even sure his raven hair, though it was cut; was sticking up on all sides of his head. Not to mention how heavy and miserable his body felt.

"ATTENTION!" Tomlinson called again setting the pot and spoon down on a small metal table by the entrance.

Huffing Zayn took his place beside Harry at the front of their bunks awaiting for their daily announcements and orders.

Once all the men were lined up Tomlinson began his walk down the isle, looking at each and every recruit. "Today, what ever happens at the obstacle course and whatever results you get in your tests you will still return to Barrack E but you will all have a different rank." He slowed his pace as he approached the 8th row.

"Schedules will be given at the end of the day when you receive your rank results. You may not train but you will still, again return to barrack E." Tomlinson paused in front of the two young recruits and turned to them sneaking a smile. "You have an hour to shower and get dressed as needed before breakfast." He announced voice going soft when he met the sparkling emerald eyes in front of him.