Chapter 15: Front•line

Front•line-
To be involved with the heart of a conflict.

...

Chapter 15
June 5th, 1944
Portsmouth, England

"So! You will all make your way to your group at these designated points...IF you survive!"

The short blonde haired captain standing at the front began to move the pointer stick in his hand down to a small spot on the board, that was titled Sword.

"This is the beach we are landing." He informed as he pulled the pointer down and turned to the men sitting in the wood seats before him.

"Everyone has positions, some of the same so other soldiers can take place for the ones who are unfortunate and do not make it."

The captain's face fell into a frown. "Now, I will be honest with you all...Many of you will not survive, but do not be afraid. Your life will be honored and remembered. You will be known as a hero! And men let me tell you something!"

He took a breath and gave a positive smile. "You will not die in vain! We will win this war! Starting here and now! You are part of an important time of history, men! Take it in! Your lives will mean so much to our country. Never forget that! Now eat up and get well rested gentleman. D-Day begins tomorrow at dawn! You are dismissed!"

Most soldiers cheered while some looked beyond scared to death, and others looked ready to spew their lunch out from how the ship swayed.

Liam on the other hand was disappointed in himself.
Not because of how he felt about being sent to the frontlines or anything like that. He was weirdly excited thanks to the adrenaline rush from the speech; but because he regretted not seeing Zayn more often like he had promised.

He also regretted not saying 'Fuck you!' To his parents and marrying the raven haired boy he was so in head over heels over before being sent on this operation.

However, if he was to die soon he wanted to at least kiss those soft plump lips one last time. It was his last dying wish.

"Liam!"

The brunette haired boy turned and suddenly gasped when he saw a short scrappy skinny lad come running his way.

"Louis?!"

Such a small world it was. He didn't think he'd ever see his former bunk leader again.

"It is I the one and only." He sassily chuckled.

The two then exited the meeting room together as they continued on.

Liam just chuckled softly along and shook his head at the older boy before he went on to respond to his little joke.

He had way too many questions for the young corporal and he couldn't help but ask them all at once. "What are you doing here, mate? Where's Harry? How are you two anyways?"

"Woah woah woah." Louis laughed. "I know I'm quite a celebrity but keep it at one question, laddy." He joked still giggling about.

Liam rolled his eyes and just laughed. "Sorry, mate. I haven't seen you since bootcamp. Just wanting to catch up with you."