Chapter 9: As•sent

Assent-
To accept

...

Chapter 9
May 6th 1943
Surrey, England

Another lunch skipped, another day with a grumbling starved stomach but Zayn didn't care. He was punishing himself for what he was. A disgrace that is. A disgrace to society and all of humanity.

Zayn hadn't seen Liam again since after that day. That day. Just thinking about made Zayn want to hurl. If only he had the contents to hurl he very well would have.

Okay, so Zayn did see Liam around but they never exchanged glances—well they didn't exchange much glances. When they did they both kept themselves low key from one other.

It was as if they were playing some game where one would look at the other and would glance away before the other could catch them. Like tag but with their eyes.

It's been a week since Zayn had confessed his feelings to Liam. A week since Liam surprised Zayn with a kiss that only lasted for a minute till the brunette went mad and took off. A whole god damn week since Liam sat across from Zayn in the cafeteria at their one favored table.

Zayn had stayed at his and Harry's usual table and it was tough bracing himself each day for when Liam would take his assigned seat but Liam never did and as each day passed on Zayn grew more and more relieved by Liam's unexplained absence.

Course their little clique began asking about Liam's disappearance and they figured since that day, Zayn may have had something to do with Liam being gone but with Harry covering for Zayn like the best friend he was the group soon shut up about it and moved on though they were pretty upset Liam had left them without a single word.

Today Zayn was assigned to work in the on base infirmary where he was to use his newly learned skills on any wounded recruits that came in from their brutal training.

On his way to the small infirmary, Zayn distracted by his thoughts, happened to accidentally run into one of the most feared recruits on the entire base, James Arthur.

James Arthur who stood at a towering height of 6'3 was the base's known delinquent. He clowned around a lot during important events held at the base and even in his training.

When he wasn't doing that he was acing his courses while he'd bully anyone shorter or much weaker recruit for fun which was basically everyone at the camp except for Liam and the instructors.

Because Liam was at the top of the most strongest respected men on the base, James usually left him and his group of friends alone. Zayn included.

Yet just when Zayn thought he'd still be under that protection he was proved absolutely wrong by a sudden stinging smack to his face.

"Fucking fag!" The giant spat at him in insult.

It was secondary school all over again. Zayn could sense those traumatic memories reprising at the back of his head. His heart began to pace and he felt sixteen. And Liam-'That asshole just like fucking Shawn!'

Zayn brought his hand up to hold the heated part of his cheek as he held back a tear that threatened to escape his eye.

Jame's lips cracked open and he let out an evil cackle. "What a baby!" He laughed. "Gonna cry baby? Do ya need ya mummy?"