Chapter 16: A·mer·i·can

A•mer•i•can-
Citizens of the US.

...

⚠️Warning: Some mentions of underage marriage and American stereotypes
(I am American)⚠️

Chapter 16
June 15th 1944
Sword Beach, France

A thick smoke swirled out from a hot cigarette that was dangling out of the side of the short dark haired man whom stood over the newly joined soldier.

"Evening." He greeted the men as he withdrew his cigarette and let out a long puff of smoke.

The men all nodded not uttering a single word in response.

The American cracked a smirk and shoved his cigarette back into his mouth. "Name's Sergeant Urie. I come from Utah but I've been in New York for a good few years studying at Columbia University, until I was drafted in 1939. There was fears we'd be entering the war so some men including myself were sent to Pearl Harbor to keep peace up until 1942 when of course the Japs attacked-"

He paused to snatch his cigarette out of his mouth and throw it into the sand under his feet.

"I lost many friends that day yet luckily I happened to survive. Perhaps I survived so I could see this very day that we take over. And let me tell you boys....I'm getting my fucking revenge! And your slacking won't stop me!" His face was pure red and his voice was low yet loud.

Sergeant Urie stepped back, taking a heavy breath.

"So, I understand I may not be fighting the Japs but this mission with the Krauts will be leverage in winning the war and THAT is how I will get my revenge! The Krauts and Japs are allies with one another and if we squash one of these pesky flies we'll be able to disable and squash the other." At the end of his statement Urie clapped his hands like he was killing a fly. That caused some of the unexpected soldiers to jump.

"Now I do hope you men don't slack! I'm sure you all are sick of these fucking pests and I want you to show me! We shall be merciless and show them just how scary we can be when they threaten our nations, our families and our friends! We shall make them feel that every decision they made in joining their pathetic army was a big fucking mistake! Understand?!"

The men all responded with a loud "Yes Sir!" In a unison which pleased the older man standing over them.

"Good." Urie pleasingly smiled. "Now men get to know one another because you'll be shitting together, eating together, killing together and possibly dying together! From here on you are brothers! And we don't leave our brothers behind! Get that?! I don't give a fuck that we come from two different countries! We are all here for one thing and that is to defeat the Krauts! So talk amongst yourselves and put your differences aside while Captained Lowden and I get some supper on for you all."

After Urie's pleasant pep talk the men went ahead and did as told while Sergeant Urie dismissed them and made his way over to Lowden who looked a bit displeased by his violent speech.

"I'm American." Brendon reminded the frowning man. "We don't take no shit. Trust me it's what makes our soldiers invincible."

Lowden slowly closed his parted mouth and gave the man an odd look. "Interesting."

Urie snorted lightly and threw a hand upon Lowden's back. "I'll tell you some of my key secrets while we prepare dinner."