Reassurance

These banquets never get old even as I have been to more than I can count at this point

These banquets never get old even as I have been to more than I can count at this point. Xander has his arm firmly around my waist. Our relationship has breached that of platonic that even I had accompanied him as a date. I felt the eyes of women peering down at me in a condescending way, but none of it mattered when it came to gloating amongst Xander's peers.

"Are you enjoying yourself, Miss Donovan?"

"Not quite as much fun as you," I flirtatiously say nudging him with my hip. "Dance with me?"

Xander's smirk is a tasteful one that could make a girl quiver with delight. A sensual look without trying.

"It would be my pleasure."

I watch him hold out his right hand up in a cup position. A soft song starts to play in the background and I am easily lost in the melody.

We sway around in the crowd turning around in a circular motion fluidly. He holds onto the small of my back firmly but just enough to lead me throughout the song.

Every moment fluttering through my mind as we dance in the middle of the dance floor. He casts me out of his embrace to move outward with an outstretched arm. It's empty and I immediately miss his warmth. I wind back in his grasps wrapping my fingers in his cupped hand as if I am making a promise. This is where I want to be no matter what's happening around me.

He steps forward leading me throughout the song as if he's asserting his direction. Our movements calculated and sharp like he's steering a ship through the dark and stormy seas. We

I'm whisked into the grip of a stranger that is strong and unyielding. "Miss Donovan," a familiar voice calls my name. "What a pleasure it is that we meet again." The crowd is too thick to see Mr. Hale within reach. That and the constant motion were in dancing to the song playing makes it almost impossible to keep my focus long enough to survey the area.

"I could say the same, but I think it would be an insult rather than a genuine compliment."

Mr. Dalton chuckles to the comment. "Now, now. We might have gotten off on the wrong foot when first meeting, but you have to understand. I run a profitable business." A fickle of what I might call it.

"Try brothel."

He isn't very happy with my wittiness but this man is the Ted Bundy of prostitution amongst other things. "I can see you're not too keen about the kind of establishment I run," he sighs. "And- from a female perspective I can understand why. However, my business has made that of many thrive in situations deemed unfit. While the club does offer some rather unusual indulges it is for the private eye. Women tend to dream of affairs or being the CEO of their own company. If you wanted to run for Mayor of the city. My establishment can provide the services or connections needed to see that you succeed in any, shape, or form. To clarify. Nothing is without reach."

"So, is murder an appetizer or the main course?"

"Depends on how big your appetite is."

"You're a sick fuck."