16

"There's nothing wrong with just a taste
of what you paid for."

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: insanity

"Uh, rich. Did you hear that?" I turned to him in shock. "The sirens? Yeah." He laughed. "Not the sirens, richie. Mike, he spoke to me. Just there, I'm not kidding."

"Listen, I think this whole situation has gotten to you, maybe you should go back to sleep." He seemed a bit freaked out. "You don't understand, richie. He did, he spoke to me."

"You're too innocent for this, I should have just left without you. I'm sorry." He muttered loud enough for me to hear him. "I'm glad I came, don't start doubting yourself now, come on, please believe me."

RICHIES POV

I couldn't reply to her, doesn't she know that it's impossible for a dead man to speak? Maybe I should turn back and bring her home -no, I can't. The police will take her in and investigate her, which I can guarantee she won't tell them anything. Y/n isn't like that.

I need to get far away from these cops. Then I'll talk to her.

I went way past the speed limit, and in a straight line. I remembered a little river side that my real dad used to bring me and my mom every time I got a break from school. We used to camp out, and make s'mores, and- "Richie, are you okay?"

"What, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" I nervously chuckled. "Because you're crying." He wiped a tear from my face, that I didn't know was there. "I'm sorry." I told her.

"What? Why are you sorry, it's okay to cry." She smiled lightly at me. "No, it's not okay. I can kill someone, in cold blood, but when it comes to thoughts of my d-dad. I-I." I sighed. "I can't be this weak. I won't survive in the world if this is how I am."

As I pull into the woods, I see the all too familiar road to my happy place. It's completely hidden if you don't know where to go. The sirens are far away, they won't catch up for a while anyways.

After about a 15 minute drive into the woods, the sirens are completely out of hearing range. I see the river just 10 steps away.

Y/NS POV

"Wow, richie. This is incredible." I stared in awe at the scene. "Thanks, my dad used to bring me and my mom here. My real dad."

"Who knew the trashmouth could be such a softie." I poked his cheek. He groaned in annoyance and grabbed my hand. "I'm not a softie, I'm just human." He growled. "Yeah, okay." I played with fire. Let's see if he'll really hurt me.

"You need to stop doing this." He said sternly. "Doing what?" I asked innocently. "This!" "I'm not doing anything."

"Yes you are, and you know it."
"Okay, what am I doing?"

"Driving me insane."