25

"Just another dressed up heartbreak."

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: truth
(Trigger warning, I think... Just don't get offended, kapeesh?"

"What do you mean by 'he's bad'?" I asked him for the hundredth time so far. "Come on, richie. If your planning on harming my dad in any way, which, by the way, is obvious, the least you can do is tell me why the fuck he's so bad. He tried everything to give you a normal childhood."

"Listen, I appreciate everything your parents done for me, don't get me wrong here, but have you really never heard the yelling from your mom?" He said calmly. I didn't reply for a second, and thought back to any particular fights they had.

I remember one.

Flashback;
I was about ten, and Richie was over in my house, like most nights, and my dad came home from work. I heard muffles, and some things being pushed over, but nothing too bad. My mom raised her voice saying "stop it your drunk-" but he must have hushed her because she was quiet after that.

"Rich, are they fighting?" I asked him. They didn't fight much, from what I heard anyways, so I was utterly baffled as to why they would be fighting so quietly. They usually fight quite loudly.

"will I check?" He asked as he stood up and walked over to the door. He peeked around the door and instantly shoved it closed again. "Are they okay?" I asked him. "Yeah, yeah they're fine."

My 10 year old self thought nothing of it..

End of flashback

"What were they doing." I shook myself out of my daze. "When?" "That time, we were only about 10 and you went to see why they were fighting so quietly. What were they doing when you looked around the door?"

"Do you remember where your mom was the next day?" He asked me shyly, as if he was afraid to ask. "She dropped a cup and it exploded everywhere. It cut her jaw, hands, wrists and thighs. She had to go to hospital, it was so bad." I explained.

"Now, now that you're older, put it together. Is a broken cup really that heavy, that if it exploded, it would put her in hospital."

"Not that I know of, but Richie, I know my dad, he wouldn't do that to her." I was trying to convince myself more than him. "He loves her." "Loved." He corrected.

"What do you mean, loved. He still loves her Richie." "You know that job he had. As a bartender?" He raised an eyebrow. "Yes, he loved it there, he even stayed after-hours." "Jesus, y/n. He was getting drunk and fucking his boss. She wasn't enough for him, so he came home and forced himself on your mom."

"You're wrong." "He's evil, y/n. Don't deny me that. Once he's gone, your mom will be happy." "I'll think about it. Goodnight, rich."

"Goodnight, y/n. I love you."

"I guess I love you too, Richie."