1: The Impossible

The music in the club was loud-loud enough that I could feel the bass thudding in time with my heartbeat. The bright LED lights, varying in shades of red, white, pale blue and violet flashed around the club, illuminating the party-goers and blinding me.

"Need a drink?" the bartender shouted over the music.

"Strawberry margarita!" I heard the shout of my cousin Yuki as she sauntered over to me. The bright neon yellow of her jacket caught the lighting and burned even brighter. It clashed brilliantly with her red lipstick and the matching highlights in her pixie-cut hair. "Two of them!"

"Of all the places you could have chosen for a celebration and you picked this place?" I shouted over the music while Yuki smirked at me with her crimson lips.

"Yes, this place! Davy Joe's is full of old white guys!"

"They're cops," I defended my bar. "And Davy keeps my favorite beer on tap!"

"Like I said-old white guys!"

"Are you saying I'm an old white guy?" I didn't fall into any of those three categories and Yuki knew it as well as I did.

"Exception not the rule." At that moment, the mohawk bartender came back with two pink drinks with salt around the rim.

"Thanks," I mumbled, grabbing my drink while Yuki whooped with delight.

"Drink it down!" She ordered me, drawing herself up as much as her five foot, five inch frame would allow. "And that's an order Officer!"

She winked at me then and despite myself, I laughed and followed the order. The sweet-burn mix of fruity syrup and tequila filled my mouth and made me cough a bit as I set the empty glass down.

"Happy?" I shouted over the thudding music.

"Not yet!" Yuki ordered another round and gave me the same instructions as before and I complied. This time I felt it go to my head a bit more. Not drunk, not even close but I was starting to edge towards a buzz.

"Happy yet?"

"No! We must dance!"

My eyes widened and I shook my head. "No! Not on your-ah!"

Yuki had my arm in a steel grip and yanked me off my stool. "Dance we must! Come little one!"

"Twerking is not dancing Yuki!" I protested but over the laughter and the scream of the guitar I went unheard and unheeded.

"Dance!" she proclaimed again, swaying her hips in time to the music and bobbing her head.

I shuffled from side to side a bit, knowing I wouldn't have even dared that much if I was sober. Fighting and self-defense were in my comfort zone and so was shooting my gun, but dancing wasn't even close.

Yuki started to laugh. I couldn't hear it of course, but I could see it on her face but the wide smile and her pointing at me. I joined in even though the joke was at my expense. Yuki had that effect on me and pretty much everyone she met. She always had such a zeal for life. A sort of enthusiasm that was infectious and pulled other people to her and made them want to be a part of something-even if that something was outside of their comfort zone. It was probably the reason Yuki and I were so close-well aside from being first cousins at least. Despite the fact that we were so different, Yuki's magnetism still drew me in and got me to laugh and go along with a few of her antics here and there.

The song ended, my heart was racing and my undone hair was sticking to the back of my neck and shoulders. "Yuki," I shouted, but again, I went unheard. "Yuki!" I tried again, this time reaching out and grabbing her to get her attention.