30: Backstory

After breakfast, I returned to my room. Elise was meeting up with Fulla for some one-on-one time with her sponsor and Melinda had expressed her desire to nap. After the trial yesterday, I didn't blame her for wanting a bit more sleep. I wasn't tired myself, but I would welcome the quiet and the chance to catch up on some of  Grey's Anatomy, a show that I had long considered a guilty pleasure after Yuki had introduced me to it last year via Netflix. Amanda, always handy with technology had set up accounts for everyone who'd asked for it prior to the first trial. I hadn't had much time to make use of it until now because I'd been training. I was looking forward to the opportunity.

When I turned the corner to walk back into my hallway though,  I stopped short as I caught sight of Thor and Sif waiting farther down it. They couldn't have looked more different. Thor in his fawn colored suit looked like he belonged in a finance meeting. Sif with her battered combat boots, shorts and black tank top wouldn't have looked out of place at biker bar.

"Hey," I said as I approached and they both smiled. "What's up?"

"I'm just gonna wait in your room," Sif said brightly, image shimmering as she teleported into my room. I was glad she'd at least warned me rather than waiting inside, she'd scared me with that one time and I wasn't eager to go through it again.

"Hey," Thor greeted me now, a shy smile on his face. "How are you this morning?"

"Fine," I said as I fiddled with the bracelet on my wrist. Like my Glock, I'd taken to wearing it every time I went somewhere, just in case. "Yourself?"

"Alright," Thor said, rubbing the back of his neck. "Listen, I was wondering if you'd like to go out again tonight? Our last date kind of got cut short and I wanted to make it up to you."

I smiled. "I'd like that. What did you have in mind?"

"Well I've gotten to decide what we were doing the last few times, what sounds like fun to you?"

The prospect of not walking in blind was thrilling and I tried not to look too eager at the offer as I thought about an answer. I knew for sure I wanted to get out of this manor for a bit but the memory of Thor's face as we were ambushed by paparazzi hadn't left my mind either. That made my mind up for me. "I'd like to get out of this place for a bit," I said, "somewhere were we can get some fresh air and not have to be worried about cameras flashing in our faces. Is there anywhere like that? If not we can just stay in," I added quickly, deciding that privacy was more important than getting out of the building for a few hours. I didn't want this date to end like our last one had.

To my relief, Thor smiled a little. "I think I know a place. You like swimming?"

"Love it."

"Great, pick you up at six and we'll go?"

"Sounds good."

"Awesome, I'll see you then." With no further word, Thor teleported just as Sif had, his image blurring like a mirage before he vanished entirely. Feeling a bit off-center but pleased all the same, I unlocked my door and entered my room. Sif was up on her feet and bouncing on the balls of her feet.

"Does someone have a date tonight?" she asked eagerly, eyes sparkling and I nodded, blushing at her enthusiasm. "Eek! This is so exciting!"

"Lower your voice," I said dryly as I rolled my eyes. "I don't think the rest of Asgard heard you."

"Hey," Sif defended herself as she plopped down on the edge of my bed. "I am very invested in this."

"I know," I sat down next to her, several questions pouring through my mind. "Why didn't you two work out anyways? I know you said you just didn't love him like that, but why not? He's an amazing guy." I'd been satisfied with her explanation on Midgard, but now that I'd been here longer, the curiosity had been gnawing at me.