50: Brews and Bites

The salt-smell of the bay mixed with the crisp evening air as I dragged Thor through the familiar streets of Boston. Everyone said New York City was the place that never slept, but I'd always felt that true for Boston as well; everywhere we went, the sidewalks were crowded with people despite the wintry chill. Stoplights flashing as endless lines of cars made their way to their destination while even more people crowded the sidewalks, hunched over with their hands in their pockets or on their cell phone. There was no  snow on the ground yet, but I knew from the way the harbor sparkled and the way the cold air burned my throat that it couldn't be far off yet.

"Is it always this cold in Boston?" Thor asked, teeth chattering as we walked down the semi-crowded sidewalk.

"It's always cooler near the bay but this is pretty typical for this time of year," I replied, inwardly thankful that I'd had the sense to change from my dress into more weather appropriate clothing at the hotel. "Now hurry up! We're almost there." Slowly but surely, the steel and glass buildings were giving way to old, red brick structures that marked the changing location; we were getting closer to our destination.

"Where is 'here' exactly?" Thor ducked to avoid a low-hanging sign.

 I paused as I saw the familiar woodwork and yellow lights hanging outside to mark it's spot. "Thor, welcome to the finest establishment in Boston: Davy Joe's."

Thor stopped as well, squinting at the sign, the green painted letters peeling away as a cool breeze made it swing. "Were you by chance looking to stop a robbery when you hung out here?"

"Hey," I glared at him, "don't you dare insult my bar. Trust me Thor, this is one of the safest places in Boston." I grabbed the brass handle and pulled open the door which let out a loud creak of protest. "Come on in!"

Thor hesitated but another timely gust of chilly wind made him move his feet. I followed behind him, my eyes filling with the familiar sight of my favorite bar. Though I hadn't been back here in six months, nothing at all had changed. The L-shaped room was still covered in antique  wooden panels with a slight break in the mahogany coming the form of dark green paint bordering it all. There was a slam-clatter  sound pattern of glass hitting wood as the bartender and the regulars threw back drinks and laughter sounded all around.

"So, this is Boston's finest and safest establishment?" Thor muttered at my side, his breath tickling my hair.

"Half the patrons in here are cops," I told him, smiling smugly as I sauntered over to my usual booth. Thor followed suit, his lean frame sliding across the green vinyl to sit next to me.

"Really?"

"Yep," I replied as I shrugged off my jacket. "If anyone tried to cause any trouble they'd find themselves being held at gunpoint by at least six different people."

"Okay," Thor held up his hands, smiling crookedly. "I take back what I said, this is a safe place."

I laughed. "That's what you get for doubting me." I was about to conceded that the place did need a new paint job but then our waitress showed up, a perky-looking girl with a stud in her nose who introduced herself and was about to hand over menus shaped like bowling pins but I shook my head. "Can we get two Blue Moons and an order of hot wings please?" The girl wrote down our order and walked away, leaving us alone once again.

"So I take it you've been here before?" Thor teased, stretching so that his arm was resting across my shoulders. At least he'd skipped the cheesy yawn-and-reach bit.

"A few times," I replied, leaning into him and inhaling the electric smell that always surrounded him. "So, how's it feel to be anonymous?"

"Well," Thor whispered to me, his forehead pressed against mine and his voice so low only I could hear. "I definitely think I could get to used to it."