40: Cold Shoulder

I had to give it to the new place, it was nice to have a kitchen again. Constantly having my meals prepared for me had become a bit dull after a while. The day after the interviews, I was especially happy for it as I diced some bell peppers, practicing the same motions my Grandma Hamda had taught me when I was twelve. After my morning run, I was craving something hearty and pork stir-fry was a great choice.  I diced some onions as well, barely noticing their strong aroma as I turned and opened the little white fridge (did the royal designer know other colors existed?) and grabbed some ground pork. I'd start browning this first, the grease made an excellent non-stick barrier against the pan. I  tossed the meat into the hot skillet and instantly, the small apartment filled with the homey smell and sound of frying meat. It reminded me of home and how much simpler my life had been before I came here. No monsters, no magic, and no Thor.

He might have just been busy, a small, rational voice in my mind chimed as I tossed diced peppers, snap peas, onions and carrots and seasoned with some minced garlic and ginger and cayenne pepper. I mean, a Jotun attack happened four days ago. He's probably still freaking out and he barely spent time with anyone at the party.  I had to admit my rational mind had a good point, but my emotional side, which still felt the sting of pride wasn't as eager to excuse his behavior. Stirring my food around as I glanced at the timer on the rice cooker, I decided to reserve judgement. Thor had never treated me like that before and perhaps my rational side was right. It very well might have been a one-time thing due to the stress of the last three days.

"Suzume?" I jumped at the sound of my name and at Melinda's loud voice but experience had made the recovery time shorter.

"Give me a second," I called, stirring my food again to make sure it wouldn't burn. As I opened the door though, the thought of Thor was thrown out the window as I saw the suitcase Melinda was pulling behind her.

"You're leaving?" I whispered, half unable to believe what I was seeing.

"Mhm," Melinda stepped inside, pulling her luggage behind her and shutting the door. "I wanted to say goodbye in private first." She breathed deeply and then stood on her toes to peer over my shoulder. "Oh, what smells good?"

"I'm making stir fry, it's nearly done if you want to come and grab a bite."

"You read my mind," Melinda beamed as she came inside, pulling her suitcase behind her and parking it at the door. As I made my way back into the little white kitchen, the timer on my rice cooker sounded, signaling that my meal was done. I killed the burner and grabbed some plates out of the cabinet (another shade of off-white) and dished it up.

Melinda attacked hers with a fork instantly and moaned in pleasure. "I didn't know you could cook! This rice is moist, how'd you do it?"

"Anyone who likes to eat needs to learn how to use their kitchen," I replied as I dug into my own plate. "And I have a rice cooker," I jerked my head towards the appliance which was still on the counter and full of steaming rice. "There great, so why are you leaving? You and Thor looked like you were having a great time at the party." I couldn't stop the pang of jealously that the memory sent through me, but it was the truth. 

"He's not sending me away, I'm sending myself." Melinda said as she swallowed a mouthful of rice and vegetables, wincing slightly. "You have anything to drink?"

"Just water," I said even as left my plate to grab a bottle of it from the fridge. Handing it over, I sighed and looked her in the eye.  "Melinda, I have to know-are you leaving because of the Jotun?"

"Oh hell no!" She fired up at once, slamming her hand down on the counter, making our utensils rattle against our plates.  "It takes more than some ugly bastards to scare me off!"