29: Departures

The day after the trial, my daily routine was relatively unchanged. I woke up, showered (this time letting myself enjoy it) and got dressed. Elise came to walk with me to breakfast like always and we sat at our usual table in the rec room. The view from the massive windows was spectacular once again, the silver plates that magically filled up with whatever request from the kitchen were just the same but the atmosphere had changed as my friends and I gathered around the table. There was a somber air and when my eyes found Amanda and her suitcase I knew why instantly.  A lump formed in my throat and I wanted to say something to her, to breach the topic but nothing came to mind but of course, Melinda could always be counted upon in situations like this.

"You failed the trial?" she said and I couldn't help but notice how much quieter she was than normal. She was almost at indoor volume. I hadn't known she was capable of that.

"Mhm," Amanda said, and I noticed a shocking detail-her phone wasn't out at all. Seeing that made her eminent departure all the more real to me. 

"What happened?" I asked, finally discovering my voice.

"Hand to hand wasn't my strength while training so my strategy was evasion and speed." She shrugged then and I could already see why she had failed. "When I was in the jungle and arctic environments it worked well since I had so much covering but once I got out into the meadow I was done for. The two guards that ambushed me took me down and that was the end of it. And I'm fine by the way," she finished with a pointed look at all of us.

"Really?" Melinda exclaimed, the sound shattering the somber mood as Amanda laughed. Behind her thick glasses, her hazel eyes gleamed with mirth.

"Yes, really," she giggled. "I mean, I only went on two dates with Thor and don't get me wrong, he seems like a great guy but that's not really enough time to fall hard for him. I wish I could've made it farther sure, but I'm not exactly crushed about the whole thing."

I wasn't sure if she was being brave for us or truly meant it. Perhaps it was some combination of both. "What will you do next then? Go back to Kansas?"

"No." Amanda shook her head. "Well yes, but not long term. After doing this, I think I'm ready to tackle something I always said I would do but never had the guts to try."

"What's that?" Elise asked.

"I want to move to New York City and start my own photography business." She said that very fast and there was a faint pink tinge to her cheeks. However, her embarrassment was unneeded.

Melinda whooped and I saw several heads turn towards us. I looked away but not before I caught the woman with long wavy hair glaring at me like I'd done something repulsive. The hatred in her eyes was so intense that I quickly looked away and refocused on Amanda who was opening up more than I'd ever seen her do under the flattering interest of our little group.

"Oh yeah!" Melinda said with a shrug of her shoulders. "I know a guy who could help you get a premise in the city; his name's Dayton, he's awesome." Melinda chatted on about some of her connections in New York that she could get Amanda in touch with if she wanted and of course, the blonde was quite interested and began digging through her purse to find a pen and a scratch piece of paper.

"I think it's great that you want to start a photography business," I found myself saying.  "I love taking pictures too."

"Really?" Amanda asked, beaming and I nodded.

"Yeah but it's for myself versus commercial work. I'm not very good at it."

"All you need in a good photo is a good camera and good lighting."