8: Saying Goodbye

"You're doing what?" My mother asked in a deathly quiet voice as we sat across the table from each other.

I sighed, having already prepared for this. "I'm accepting a transfer to Anchorage, that's in Alaska."

"I know where Anchorage is," she said, half-hissing and her round face filling with color. "And you're not going."

"Yes, I am," I replied, willing myself to be calm. I already knew Mom wouldn't like this; she hadn't been pleased when she learned that I was going the police academy and that was just in Hyde Park. I shuddered to think what her reaction would be if she knew my real destination.

"Suzume-."

"Mom," I cut her off. "This is already a done deal, Chief Santiago already approved it and due to the time-sensitive nature of the case I'll be assigned to, I'm leaving tonight."

"And what exactly is this case?" she demanded. "What's so important that you have to leave your family?"

I winced at the harsh accusation in her voice. Of course, I was the bad guy for daring to leave her. Swallowing a harsh reply of my own, I answered her as calmly as I could. "A detective in Alaska thinks Yuki's death might be related to another murder in their area that occurred a few months ago. Given how I am a witness to..." I trailed off, trying to swallow the rapidly building lump in my throat. "Given what I saw and my law enforcement background, she offered to bring me onto the case and I accepted. I want to get there before the trail goes cold and therefore, I need to leave as soon as possible. I already gave Chief Santiago my resignation and he accepted it, I also gave notice on my apartment and I've paid the termination fee there as well. My flight leaves this afternoon and I've already ordered a cab to take me from here to the airport. I'll leave my car here for you, I figure you'll be happy to have your own car again since your transmission is shot." She hadn't yet bought a replacement. She claimed funds, but I knew better, she was scared of driving. I hoped my bequeathing her my car would help force her to confront that fear. It wasn't fair that Enemi was expected to be her chauffeur and now she'd have no excuse.

"You are not moving to Alaska!" Mom nearly shrieked, face bright red and I got to my feet, knowing this would be just like the academy. She wouldn't accept that I was going until I was gone.

"Cell service is a bit spotty," I informed them though it was a lie. Asgard didn't have a cell service but Sif had told me sending letters would be possible. "I'll call when I can find a place that actually has service but I will write every week, I promise. I'll send the first letter when I arrive or the day after."

I slung my purse across my shoulder and sighed. "I know this is sudden, but I have to do this."

"No you don't." Mom said, grabbing my wrist her grip like steel. "We all loved Yuki and we all miss her but that doesn't mean you can go to Alaska and join her!"

My calm began to crack and my forced smile faded. "Mom, please, I don't want to leave like this. This doesn't have to be like when I went to the police academy."

"You should never have done that either!" Mom snapped, tears welling in her eyes. "Look what happened to your father!"

That was low and rubbed salt in wounds that had been burned into me when I was ten years old. The pain was enough to severe my hold on my calm and civility and I knew as I opened my mouth that this would end just like the academy had."Dad was a great man," I said, more growl than speech. "And why he married someone as weak as you, I'm never going to understand." Mom flinched, like I'd slapped her and I used her distraction to yank my wrist out of her grip and I turned on my heel and hurried to the entryway. Blood roaring in my ears as I yanked open the door, walked out and slammed it shut. I tried to ignore the tears that were burning my eyes as I walked down the driveway towards Matthew who had been kind enough to follow me here. He'd claimed he needed to run to a local liquor store to buy some craft beer, but I knew better.