48: Dinner Party

The doors moved open silently but I wished they'd have made a sound to help cover up my thudding heart. Seated at the long, formal table was a couple, one of whom I recognized. Freya, the queen of Asgard was sitting by a man with salt and pepper hair, head thrown back and laughing. Her grey-streaked hair was done in an intricate braid and I thought she might have had diamonds woven into the structure. She (there was no other word for it) sparkled under the overhead lights between that and her off-white gown.

At her side, the older man turned and I wasn't unable to hide my shock as I saw his face; he had a thick scar across the upper half of his left face, like someone had taken a large knife and carved. My stomach felt a little queasy when I saw that he had an eye patch on the same side and I couldn't help the morbid wondering as to how he'd lost his eye.

"Ah there's my boy!" Odin boomed, rising to his feet and interrupting my staring. Like his son, he was dressed in a suit though his was crimson red. Beaming at his son, the king of Asgard approached us and wrapped Thor in an embrace.

"Hi Dad," Thor muttered, blushing a bit as he let go. "Sorry to keep you waiting."

"Nonsense!" Odin's smiling gaze fell on me and I quickly rearranged my face into what I hoped was a winning smile. The last thing I wanted was for my RBF to make an appearance. "And Lady Suzume, a pleasure to finally meet you!"

I offered him my free hand. "Thank you, it's very nice to meet you too." Odin (to my great relief) only shook my hand. "Please, won't you come sit?"

"Of course," I kept a loose grip on Thor's hand as long as I could, the slight weight keeping me calm as I lowered myself into the chair he pulled out for me. "Good evening Your Majesty," I said, addressing Freya who gave me a smile of her own.

"You can call me Freya."

Calling by the first name, that had to be a good sign and I relaxed a little as Thor sat down beside me. "You look lovely."

"Thank you." Her gaze turned away from me as Odin sat down, still beaming who clapped his hands twice in quick succession. As if on queue a separate, smaller door at the back of the room opened up and waiters flashed towards us bearing silver platters and matching domes.

My hopes of chicken wings and beer now dashed, I mentally recited Sif's advice about how forks always were on the left side and the salad one came first. "Thank  you," I said as my waiter pulled off the dome with a flourish to reveal a bed of leafy greens that I didn't recognize but the uncertainty wasn't a concern. I'd never been a picky eater and I had never been more thankful for it than I was now as I had dinner with literal monarchs. I took a generous bite of it, the tang of citrus and bite of pepper dancing on my tongue as the conversation began.

"So," Odin said as he picked at his own salad, clearly not as at ease with the greens as I was. "Did you get the trade deal with Hrothgar settled?"

"We got him to agree to a few of our terms," Thor answered, picking at his food as well. Apparently he'd taken after his father when it came to veggies. "We're still  stuck on a few terms."

"What terms?"

"Well, he wants us to increase the amount of starlight we're willing export."

"Did he say how much? There are limits to be sure but I'm sure our Wildlife and Conversation departments would agree to a subtle increase. Yeah, Hilda can be an obstinate hag but if she's giving you trouble I can speak with her."

I wasn't sure who Hilda was but by Thor's exasperated smile that Odin's words were true. "Hilda I can handle, it's Hrothgar's second request that's proving...difficult."