52: Operation Cobra

With Freya's help, I was teleported back to the castle where Sif was last known to be. I thanked her for the escort but she didn't even hear me as she was gone the second I let go of her. I couldn't blame her as I imagined Odin, gore-covered and in agony as he enacted ancient magic to get ahead of a terrorist cell. I couldn't fault her for wanting to be with her husband. If it had been Thor making that sacrifice nothing sort of magical imprisonment would've kept me away.

My head spinning with a hundred trouble thoughts I made my way inside and walked steadily across the marble floors and up the stairs. A large part of me wanted to run but I knew that was foolish. I'd only wear myself out and I might raise alarm where it wouldn't be wanted or helpful. Stay calm, I thought to myself as I took deep breaths. I knew Sif. I'd find her fast, with or without giving into my impulse to run.

It was eleven but Sif was a late sleeper. Unless I was much mistaken, she'd be snoring in her bed still. I'd start there and then work my way to all the other places I knew she frequented on an average day. The castle was quiet as I made my way to her little apartment-too quiet and it my chest tight. I knew this tension. I'd felt it before back on Earth after the Boston Bombing. The way the world had held it's breath and waited for the worst as horrible events unfolded before their eyes.

Why the change though? I thought as I knocked on her door and was met with silence. Of course, today of all days she had to be awake at a decent hour. Now it was time to move onto the gym where she and I so often sparred. I made my way downstairs towards it with my thoughts continuing to race ahead. Why go from Jotun to Dragrs?  My knowledge of the latter was limited but I knew they weren't more dangerous than frost giants. Only three people had died or been hurt before the creature had been stopped. Frost giants didn't leave that in their wake. To lose fifteen to twenty was a lucky break when it came to one of their attacks and the Brigade was all about spectacle. So why, why now did they switch tactics?

The answer was obvious: because they were planning something big. This use of a zombie for an attack was one step in a much larger scheme and bile rose up my throat as the elevator descended to the basement level. Whatever this was going to be, it wasn't going to end without bloodshed.

The elevator came to a stop and I made my way down the hallway which was no less ornate than the upstairs level. "Sif?" I called as I walked, nearing the finely carved doors that marked the gymnasium. "Sif are you down here?"

I pushed the door open and an empty track and climbing wall greeted me. Another dead end. Great. I turned to make my way back to the elevator when a voice called my name.

"Hello Your Majesty."

I turned. "Loki, what are you doing here?" The infamous Trickster was back and unlike last time, he was not in disguise. He looked just as he had the day I'd met him with a tall, lean frame, a mop of brown curls and mischievous blue eyes.

"Is that anyone to greet an old friend?" He asked as he sauntered over to me, pulling at the sleeves of his long-sleeved black shirt.

I scowled at him in reply and he rolled his eyes.

"I came here to meet with an old friend and then news of the Dragr attack broke. I thought this would be the best place to get some answers."

I didn't think he was telling the whole truth but now wasn't the time to press for answers.  I had bigger things to worry about. "Have you seen Sif?"

"Yes, she's gathering her fellow Valkyries." At my questioning look he smirked. "I hope you don't mind but I couldn't help overhearing Thor's orders. Thought I'd speed things up."

I dug my nails into my palms. The sting bought me enough time to stop myself from saying something I'd regret. "I didn't see you in there."

"I'm quiet as a mouse," he said as he chuckled. I had a feeling it wasn't just a saying for him. "And now that's Sif's been briefed, I think it's time I escorted you back to your room. It's not safe at the moment."