Epilogue: Wedding Bells

The tang of sea salt filled my nose as I took a deep breath in through my nose. The airy tent helped clear out the acrid smell of hairspray that had permeated the place all morning. Like me, my mother had straight hair that refused to hold a curl without using up half a can of the stuff and Sif had the same issue. Between them they were a walking fire hazard and I prayed they wouldn't get too close to the tiki torches at the reception.

I refocused my attention to the mirror as I slipped my diamond studs into my ears. The final piece of my wedding ensemble. I paused a moment, a smile breaking out across my face at the sight.

The last time I'd worn a formal gown, I'd felt like a stranger was in the mirror. Now? I felt like myself, just dressed up. The gleam of beading at the belt combined with my earrings gave me just the right amount of sparkle and the white fabric was light-weight and draped elegantly around my body allowing me both a flattering shape and the freedom to move.

"You look beautiful." My smile flickered as I heard my mom's voice. I took a steadying breath before facing her.

"Thanks Mom."

Like me, she was already dressed and looked nice in her garnet-colored dress which looked like it belonged to a fifties housewife. I smiled at her but inwardly I wished Sif or Freya were here with us.  I wasn't sure how long we'd survive a one-on-one conversation. They hadn't been going well for us lately after I returned home with the news I was going to be married in a week.

"What's that?" I asked, noticing the small white bag in her arms.

"Something for you," she replied, coming closer and handing over the bag . I tugged at the drawstrings and saw a tiny white box inside. Curious, I pulled it free and removed the top. Nestled in a bed of tissue paper was a bundle of  white netting and a delicate hair comb.

"You don't have to wear it," she began quietly, "but that's my veil. Your Grandma Hamda made it for me as a gift."

My fingers curled involuntarily around the box. "I didn't know that."

Mom was quiet a moment as her feet shuffled against the white sand. "I know wasn't initially supportive of all this and I won't pretend I still don't have concerns."

"Mom," I interrupted, "please, I don't want to do this today."  Her accusations of my being foolish and my retort about not bothering to come still hurt. I wasn't proud of my slamming the door on my way out either and I didn't want to think about any of it. Not today.

"I'm not. Suzume," she sighed again and brushed my face. "I love you and I want you to be happy. And I hope you and Thor can be as happy as I was with your father." Her eyes filled with tears and she smiled at me. "He would be so proud of you today."

Now it was my turn to cry. "I miss him," I said, my voice thick and Mom nodded as she tugged the box from my hands before hugging me.

"I know." She held me a moment more before letting go. "But try to smile okay? He'd want you to be happy." She squeezed my hand a moment and sighed. "I'll see you out there alright?"

She made to walk away and my heart constricted as I looked at the little white box. "Wait."

She turned and I held up the box lamely. "I don't know how to put it on. Can you help me?"

The smile on her face was worth the awkwardness I felt working it's way through me. "Of course. Sit down."

Mom went to work quickly, her delicate hands making quick work of pining the vintage veil into place and in time at all, I was finally ready and we walked out of the tent together. Already, I could see the tiny cluster of chairs where our guests were seated and waiting for the ceremony to begin.