15: Girl Talk

As it turned out, the rec room that had served me breakfast this morning had closed down for the day just as Sif and I arrived. I suppressed a groan hearing that, wondering what I was supposed to do about the aching hunger gnawing at my insides, but I didn't have to wonder for very long.

            Elise and Melinda were exiting through the massive, polished doors and when Melinda spotted to me, her voice rang out in the room and sent me on Harley Quinn flashbacks.

            "Hey Officer!" She hollered, striding over to me, her hips swaying with each motion. I noticed she had a tin-foil covered plate in her hand. "We wondered where ya got off to!"

            "Sif here was just kicking my ass with a staff," I said with a shrug, rubbing my sore shoulders. "I came here looking for food but it seems I missed the deadline on that one."

            As if to further prove my point, my stomach gurgled loudly and the redhead let out a loud, long laugh that reminded me of Janice from Friends. "Yeah, Sif should've woken ya up sooner after she knocked you out." She winked at Sif who merely looked uncomfortable which wouldn't have surprised me. I had a feeling Asgardians had more sensitive hearing than humans did. If Melinda's voice bothered me, I didn't want to know what it was like for her.

            "But Elise here," she nudged the black woman playfully who smiled and rolled her eyes. "Is a damn saint and thought we should grab some food for you, just in case you got hungry." She held out the plate to me and Elise, I then realized, was holding one as well.

            "I'm not a saint," she said, rolling her dark brown eyes again. "Melinda is giving me too much credit. I was grabbing a plate for myself, in case I got hungry later and thought we should grab one for you too since neither of us saw you at dinner."

            Melinda handed me the plate and I could still feel warmth soaking through it. "Thank you," I said. "You saved my life."

            "It's what I do," Elise said, winking, her long, dark eyelashes fluttering as she did.

            "You have beautiful eyelashes," I commented, smiling at her.

            "She does," Melinda's roar drowned out whatever reply Elise was going to give. "And they're natural. Lucky bitch!" She elbowed Elise who was jostled and I tensed, ready to catch her if she fell over. Melinda was much bigger than she was and I had a feeling she could get a bit carried away and not know her own strength.

            Elise, thankfully stayed upright and straightened her sunshine yellow dress with her free hand. "We're heading back to my room for a bit, Amanda is coming too," she titled her head towards a woman with long blonde hair and thick rimmed glasses. "Why don't you come with us?"

            I looked down at the plate of food they'd gathered for me. "Sure," I said, falling into step with them and waving goodbye to Sif, who had already disappeared on me. "So what are we doing anyways?"

            "Movie night," Elise answered. "Something normal before all the crazy starts."

            Seeing as how I'd spent the majority of my day working out with people who could break my spine over their knees, crazy had already started. "What are we watching?"

            Melinda launched into an explanation, saying that nothing had been decided just yet but she had several ideas. I nodded along, noting that she had a taste for action flicks and science fiction. As someone who grew up on Star Wars, I was more than okay with that. Elise however, voiced a different opinion, saying she favored romantic comedies and historical dramas.