CHAPTER 2

Bird Set Free - Sia

Thankfully the music helped keep my mind off the sickly feeling in my stomach and the four and a half hour journey seemed like a matter of seconds as the Sat Nav spoke in its robotic tone, telling us we were only a matter of minutes away from our destination.

"Look there's the sign, we're nearly there!" Christina chirped clapping her hands together excitedly as Peter made the sharp left turn which revealed the large, intricate, iron gates which closed off the road which led up to the university.

I gazed out of my window, looking at the sign which showcased a fancy looking emblem, everything looked so posh and I was beginning to wonder whether I would fit in or stick out like a sore thumb.

I looked down at my outfit and instantly began to question my choice of clothing.

The sound of the passenger window being drawn down caused me to look up as Christina began to speak to the man in uniform who sat behind a pane of glass in the gatehouse.

"Hi, we're here for the auditions." She spoke clearly as I found the letter out of my bag which would grant us access to the university grounds, I handed it to her before she passed it to the man who quickly put on his glasses scanning it before opening the large gates and wishing us luck.

A long, chalky road weaved its way through an avenue of large oak trees, the leaves had a slight yellow tinge to them seeing as we were now entering autumn.

I loved the colder months, mainly because it reminded me of the cold and fresh walks me and my mum used to go on together at this time of year.

Autumn was her favourite time of year, she said she loved it because of the magical array of colours but I knew deep down it held a special place in her heart due to the fact it was autumn when she met my dad for the first time.

A small smile played at the corner of my lips at the thought of them, they had an amazing relationship and I could only hope that I would find something like that someday.

"I think they're the boarding facilities," Peter said as I shifted over to look out at the window at the rows of old, Victorian style cottages which were arranged into blocks.

Students of all ages either stood around talking or were running with bags filled with books, I guessed they were running late for their lectures, that would probably be me on my first day if I managed to get an unconditional offer.

The grounds seemed more like the grounds of an estate as fields and woodlands spread for miles with the typical old oak trees standing alone here and there in the fields filled with fluffy, green grass.

I was amazed at the sheer scale of the university it seemed as though it owned the majority of the countryside between Bath and Chippenham but after all the school was founded by the Royal Family, hence why it was called the 'Royal' University of the Performing Arts.

I noticed the car slowing as we pulled into an open space before Peter stopped the engine announcing that we were here.

Peter usually was pretty plain and to the point when I was around, I wasn't keen on him due to how he'd treated Christina in the past, he had the tendency to be selfish and self-centred and rarely considered how his actions would make others feel.

I always tried my best to tolerate him though, for Christina's sake, after all, it was his idea that I went for the audition but it was probably so he could have Christina all to himself again and to get me out of the house.

The nerves were now beginning to show as I sat in the car, rooted to the spot with a sheepish look on my face as I was the only person left in the car.