CHAPTER 16

You Say - Lauren Daigle

My heart was thumping rapidly in my chest as I smiled awkwardly, my cheeks were probably burning bright red by now.

Questions were swirling in my mind as they chatted, catching up on what they'd missed in the small duration of time they hadn't seen their son for.

Did they know that I wasn't actually his girlfriend?

Even though from the way his mum had greeted me, it seemed that Tom had kept them very well informed.

But one question played on my mind more than the others, did they know that I was in fact actually one of his students?

That would most likely be a shock to them and I wouldn't want to be responsible for giving either of his parent's a heart attack.

How could something that would be considered so wrong by others, feel so good?

I felt a twinge of pain in my chest as I thought about it, this whole thing me and Tom had going on came with so many consequences.

Consequences that not only could affect my career but his too and his career was, much, much bigger than mine.

Mine hadn't even begun.

I had taken so many risks so far and I knew that there would probably be way more to come down the line...

But for some reason, I found myself willing to do anything.

He was the one I wanted to be with, no matter what.

Could I say I even loved him?

No.

"Amber? Is that okay?" Tom's soft voice asked me, breaking me out of my thoughts, his hand gently rubbing my shoulder, a slight hint of concern on his face as he stared down at me, his eyes glued to mine.

I shook my head, stuttering slightly.

"I'm sorry, I zoned out for a second," I replied, mentally kicking myself for appearing rude by not listening and drifting off into my own world.

"It's okay dear, we were just wondering as to whether you'd be okay with us accompanying you two on your trip into town? We don't get to see Tom very often, with him being busy marking papers and being up at the university." Diana questioned, her voice gentle as she looked at me.

I smiled looking at Tom, who watched intently, a hopeful look on his face.

My heart rate increased at the mention of the university, little did she know he was marking my papers...

"Yes, sure that would be lovely." I tried to beam back at her with an equal amount of enthusiasm and luckily her face lit up.

My drama lectures seemed to be paying off more than I had originally thought.

"Aren't you just delightful? She's a keeper Tom, I'm telling you that now." She joked but there was a hint of seriousness as she looked at Tom who chuckled, rubbing his forehead awkwardly.

"I wasn't planning on letting her go in the first place." He replied causing butterflies to swarm inside my stomach.

My cheeks blushed as he stared at me, pulling me into his side before placing a gentle kiss on my head.

His fingers interlocked with mine causing a shiver to go down my spine just from the simple contact.

"Should we get going then, before this weather gets any worse?" Tom asked me, his thumbs drawing delicate circles on the back of my hand, I smiled up at him, my body filling with warmth just from the way he was gazing at me.