CHAPTER 19

Lost Stars - Adam Levine

I stood there, my eyes widening.

Luck was most certainly not on my side today, there hadn't been a single moment where I had been able to sit down without my leg jiggling up and down anxiously.

Panic filled my body as my mouth opened and closed like a goldfish's, words falling silently out of my mouth.

There was no way I was getting out of this.

"Christina-a it's not what... Are you okay? What's wrong?" I began stuttering but the panic that filled my body vanished as concern flooded over me, her face coming into better view, her eyes red and puffy whilst her damp cheeks glistened under the harsh, fluorescent lighting.

Instantly I walked over to her, pulling her in for a hug as her body gently shook with sobs.

My heart hammered in my chest, anger and sadness flooding throughout my body.

"It's nothing..." Christina said pulling away, her arms resting on my shoulders as I knitted my eyebrows while she smiled at me meekly.

She was a terrible liar.

Yeah right.

"Is it Peter?" I asked instantly, even though it came out as more of a demand, I turned to look at Tom as I felt his presence behind me, his hand resting gently on the small of my back, probably in an attempt to calm me down.

But I could tell instantly I was right as Christina's eyes fell straight to the floor, her hands smoothing out her dress nervously.

My face immediately became stern, my lips pressing together into a thin line as I tried to contain my anger.

That fucking prick!

I fucking despised the man. After everything we'd all been through, all the shit he'd caused he still had the nerve to go and fuck things up again, my hatred for the man was immeasurable, I couldn't remember the last time I had seen him put a genuine smile on Christina's face and it killed me inside.

She was one of the most lovely, caring and down to earth people you could ever meet and she didn't deserve to feel second best all the time whilst she went with him to his fancy business meals, Peter chatting up any younger, model-like women right in front of her as if she was insignificant or invisible.

There was no denial that Peter was a good looking man, he bloody knew it as well, constantly charming the arses off any vulnerable or young woman that crossed his path.

I only wished that vulnerable person wasn't Christina, she was so besotted with him, unable to see his fuckboy tendencies even when it was so obvious, multiple times I had tried to bring it to her attention but she'd always dismiss it, saying I was getting the wrong end of the stick due to my inexperience.

But that was different now, I was no longer the little girl that left that life behind months ago.

My mind raced in wonder as to what he could have possibly done to top that tonight.

"Yes... All I'm going to say is that he won't be a part of our family any longer."

As if he was a part of the family in the first place...