CHAPTER 39

Hurts - Emeli Sandé

I stood there, my eyes trailing over what was left in my room which was now filled with boxes that had multiple different labels on them. It was unreal how fast my exams had gone by, day after day of sitting in a hall with hundreds of other students taking exams that would determine my future. The concept was scary. My time here had gone so fast and the idea of not coming back or starting a new career was so daunting. It was like the little bubble I had been in for the past academic year was being popped and a part of me wanted the inevitable reality to go away.

I let out a small sigh as I picked my polaroids off my wall, my lips quirking up into a smile as the photos brought back the memories which this year had brought. Memories with Tom. Danielle. Tate. Tristan... I could feel my eyes glazing over with tears as I stared at the photo of mW and Danielle dressed up for Halloween just before my birthday. Everything changed that night, me and Danielle became closer than ever, Tristan and me had our first argument. But the thing that stood out the most to me was how that night had ended, the first night I had spent with Tom. The first time I felt something for him. Properly.

My chest grew tight as I began to well up, happiness and sadness swarming my body at once making me feel overwhelmed. Coming here to this university had changed my life in so many ways and it was crazy to think that everything could be over. I shook my head, wiping away the stray tears as I placed the photos into a pile before slipping them into a protective sleeve so that they wouldn't get damaged.

Today was my last official day in the boarding house, I was now packing up everything that had been my life for the last twelve months to go back to a place that should feel like home. But just the thought of being within such close proximity to Peter made it feel like I was going to be a prisoner in my own home. I knew things were going to change, that my time with Tom was probably going to be cut short whether I wanted it too or not.

My mind had been running wild with thoughts and doubt since my night with Tom in the log cabin, I relished every second he held me that night, every time he said my name, every time I could stare into his eyes. I knew that once I was away from the security of the university, away from Tom, that Peter would no doubt set about his little schemes and it literally felt like I had lost control of my own life. I groaned in frustration, tears of anger forming in my eyes as I fell back on the bare bed, my hands rubbing over my face.

"Amber? Are you nearly done?" Christina called as she walked into my room, a worried expression crossing her face as she walked over to me on the bed.

"Everything okay, hunny?" Her tone was gentle as she rested her hand on my head, her fingers stroking my hair gently as I sighed deeply, wiping away the one stray tear that had fallen from my eye.

"Yeah... It's just hard to leave this place." I say sitting up as I give her a weak but genuine smile. Little did she know that I was dreading going home. A part of me almost felt guilty for wanting to stay here after everything that Christina had done for me, bringing me up as if was one of her own and now all I wanted to do was run away. Not from her but from Peter who held her under his cruel spell and intentions.

"It's not like you won't be able to visit your friends. No doubt you'll be seeing Tom all the time seen as things are going very well between the two of you." Her face lit up with warmth as she smiled down at me, planting a kiss on my forehead as my heart ached in my chest. She was so oblivious to everything that was going on. So oblivious to the fact that Peter was a manipulative psycho.

"Yeah..." I replied reluctantly, standing from the bed as I picked up one of the boxes and carried it out of the room. The corridor to the stairs seeming lifeless without the presence of Danielle, Tate and Tristan who had already said their goodbyes and packed up their things. Each of their rooms now looking equally as empty as mine. To say that yesterday was an emotional day would be an understatement, all of us spending our last moments together as roommates while I helped them all pack up their things and said goodbye with the promise of seeing them soon and as often as I could.

Slowly I walked down the stairs placing the box in the hallway, my shoulders slumping as dread filled my body at the sound of footsteps behind me.

"Nearly done?" The sound of Peter's taunting voice filled the silence as I turned around, crossing my arms over my chest, avoiding his cold stare while I slipped past him into the kitchen to get a drink. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest as his footsteps followed me closely behind, my body being able to feel his presence from behind me as I filled a glass with water at the sink.

His large rough hand moved strands of hair away from my neck, exposing my skin causing me to turn around and try to reduce the space between us as much as possible as anxiety filled my body.

"What are you doing?" My voice was shaky as a sinister smirk spread across his lips, his fingers still fiddling with strands of my hair.

"Stop it!" My hand reached up to push him away but instantly his free hand grasped my wrist, tightening his grip until small tears formed in my eyes from the pain. A dark chuckle escaped his lips as he turned my arm, exposing the skin of my wrist were faint scars had formed from when his fingers had dug into my skin.

Quickly I pulled my wrist from his grip, pushing past him as I walked towards the stairs.

"You can't run away forever Amber." His voice was deep and menacing as he stood at the bottom of the stairs watching me with a dark look in his eyes. 

I could feel Christina's watching me intently as I arranged the boxes in my room, coming and going as I took the boxes downstairs after she'd sealed them. I'd be lying if I said Peter wasn't getting to me, I was beginning to feel constantly on edge, my whole body tensing at the slightest footstep or slight raise of voice. I bent down, picking up the last box as Christina followed me down the stairs to where Peter had started loading the boxes into the car. My body instantly stiffened as Peter took the box from my hands, his smug grin still playing in his lips as he walked back to the car.

Christina wrapped her arm around me, pulling me close into her side as she looked at me, her eyes boring into mine, probably looking for a hint as to what was troubling me.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She whispered to me as I looked at her, forcing a smile.

"I'm fine. Honestly." I lied turning my attention to the road that led up to the university, I could feel my body relax slightly at the sight of Tom walking down the road, a smile on his face as he walked up to me wrapping his arms around me tightly as he pecked my lips.

"All packed?" His gentle tone soothed me as I rested my head on his chest, enjoying his warmth and the steady rhythm of his heart through his chest.

"Yeah..." I sighed looking back up at him as he looked at me raising an eyebrow, I rolled my eyes knowing what he was going to ask.

"I'm fine, okay?" I chuckled slightly, my heart twinging slightly from lying to him as well as Christina. He simply nodded his head, brushing a strand of my hair behind my ear as I stared at his lips. Without a second thought, I pressed my lips to his, savouring every second his lips moved against my own with passion and love.

"Come on, we need to go." The sound of Peter's voice caused me to pull away as I looked at him, his face was stern, whilst he tensed his jaw and looked at me and Tom, pure rage filling his eyes yet he remained composed. Reluctantly I pulled away from Tom, the safety of his arms leaving me as I walked towards the car, slipping into the back seat.

Quickly Peter started the car, pulling away as he drove off down the road. I sat there, looking out the back window as I watched Tom standing there waving to me while tears filled my eyes and my chest began to tighten. I let out a shaky breath, turning around as I looked up to see Peter's eyes focused on me in the rear-view mirror, he turned his attention back to the road, a smile forming on his lips while his grip tightened on the swearing wheel.

I could have sworn I felt my heart break in that moment. Because it felt like I was leaving behind everything I held dear to me. But what hurt the most was the fact that I was leaving Tom behind with my heart in his hands.

13/6/2019

A/N- I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter if you did please vote and comment :) It's getting near the end of this story now so get ready... -Chloe x