CHAPTER 5

Come Out And Play - Billie Eilish

The next day I had a free first period, so I decided to keep my promise to Christina and sat on my bed with my phone, clicking on her contact waiting for her to pick up.

The phone rang for probably about a minute or so before her face appeared on the screen, a massive, excited smile plastered over it as she tried to figure out what she was doing with her phone.

"I've been waiting for you to call, how's everything? Are you eating properly? Have you settled in? How are the lessons going? Is everyone being nice?" She bombarded me with questions as I laughed at her curiosity.

"Yes, I'm eating properly, everything's going great. Lectures are hard but that's because it's a lot of work but I should be able to catch up. And the majority of people are really nice and friendly..." I trailed off as I thought about the blond bitch who acted like I was a piece of dirt compared to her the other day in my drama lecture.

"Majority?" I could immediately hear the concern in her voice as she stared at me whilst I shook my head.

"Honestly, Christina, it's fine, it's just one girl, I can deal with her don't worry about it. How's everything been with you and Peter?" I asked, I could just imagine how Peter had been enjoying having her all to himself without her being distracted and me having moved out now, but then again, when I thought about it Christina had probably been a nervous wreck since the day I left for university.

It made me laugh, she'd said her entire life that she never wanted children, yet her motherly instincts were through the roof, but I guess she had no option and had to adapt when she became my legal guardian.

I remember when the solicitor read the will and said that my parents had put that should anything happen to them, that I should go into the care of Christina.

Part of me felt bad, she had such a big responsibility thrown onto her and not only had she just lost her best friend but she had me as a constant reminder of that loss now

I still remember the first month I had started living with her and Peter, the large argument they both had when Peter expressed that he wasn't ready for this kind of responsibility, I lost it when he said that, he shared no pity or sympathy for the situation, for either of us to start with.

Eventually, we all grew used to it and finally became a semi-functional family, saying it was a smooth ride to where we were now though would be a lie.

A massive one, that first month was hell, it was filled with mourning, anger and hatred.

But the main thing is that we all made it out of the other side and I was now happier than I had ever been. I just hoped it was the same for Christina, she deserved it.

"Alright, I haven't seen him much as he's got a big job and has had to work away up in Edinburgh. I miss you already Amber, I'm going to be a mess come Christmas. Anyway, I better get going as I've got work and need to actually be on time today. Love you, stay out of trouble." She joked as I blew a kiss at the screen.

"Love you too, talk to you later," I said before ending the call rolling over on my bed and walking over to sit in the window seat.

I needed to catch up on 'Macbeth' so I grabbed a pen and highlighter in an attempt to annotate some of the hidden meanings, that's if I could find any.