CHAPTER 30

The Night Is Still Young - Nicki Minaj

Danielle couldn't believe what I was telling her as her eyes widened and her jaw practically dropped to the floor when I finally finished my sentence, letting out a deep breath.

"You have to do something Amber, you can't just let him control your life." Danielle sighed, placing her hand on my knee as she rubbed it gently, the two of us sitting on my double bed as I lied down stretching my legs out, Danielle joining me.

"I wish it was that simple. You don't know him like I do, he'll do literally anything to make sure he gets his way." I admitted reluctantly, wishing deep down that what I was saying wasn't true but there was no denying that it was.

"Well, I'll do literally anything to make you happy again. I can't stand to see you miserable, you deserve the world and more Amber." I turned my head smiling at her. I had no idea what I had done to deserve a best friend like her, but one thing I did know for sure was that I was grateful. She was honestly the best and just knowing that she had my back for the rest of my life gave me hope for the future.

"Thank you, love you," I replied, smiling genuinely for what like the first time in ages as I hugged her, my worries slowly melting away from just simply being in her company. There was something about Danielle that meant no matter what situation you were in, she always had a way of taking you away from the real world and giving you a few minutes to escape everything. Even if we were to sit there in silence, I could guarantee that just her presence was enough to calm the anxiety which had started to grow within me again.

I was broken out of my daze as my phone buzzed on my dresser, reluctantly I got off my bed, trudging over to my phone which was now lit up, my screensaver of me and Christina filling me with guilt since everything that had happened with Peter. I tapped on the notification, my heart sinking from the message.

Christina- Hey hunny, how have you been? I haven't heard from you in a while give me a call when you can so we can catch up on all the gossip. Love you and miss you xx

I could feel my body instantly tense up and tears form in my eyes as I stood there, staring helplessly at the text.

How can I explain all of this to her?

It would no doubt break her and after everything she'd been through already with him this would probably shatter her, never mind the impact it would have on our relationship. She was the only motherly figure I had left in my life and the last thing I wanted was for there to be tension between us or at worse to lose her. I was probably imagining the worst-case scenario but I couldn't help it, when life gets shit it's hard to see how anything could  get any better.

It's a deadly downwards spiral, one of which I didn't want to fall into again but I couldn't help but see that it was already starting with my reoccurring anxiety and panic attacks. I hadn't had one in months and the thought of having a relapse scared the hell out of me. Just remembering the sheer intensity of my anxiety attacks after my parents' death caused my body to go cold and my to heart race. They took up such a large part of my life, for months I spent time in the hospital, the nurses and doctors trying to find a medication which worked whilst I had endless therapy sessions. I was lucky that time, it worked and I got through it. But the idea of going through all of that again was unbearable.

"Amber? Are you okay?" Danielle broke me out of my thoughts as I cleared the lump in my throat turning around to face her, she was now walking towards me her hand reaching for my phone which she carefully took out of my hand, a cautious look on her face as she looked at the message. Her features softened with sympathy while she turned off my phone throwing it on my bed, her cheeky grin growing bigger as she looked at me. I knew that look.