THREE: ramblings

It was him.

I swallowed my dry throat, desperate for a way to sort my thoughts. This man had me mesmerized in ways I couldn't explain, almost inhuman how consumed I was.

It felt like minutes, maybe even hours I was staring at the man. All six feet and six inches of him seemed deadly close, I'm sure he could sense the uneasiness I was radiating off. He was blocking the majority of the doorway, so I couldn't run even if I wanted to. I was close enough I could smell his woodsy, taunting cologne.

"Umm, I'm sorry-... hi," I said weakly.

He blinked twice and brought his rough hand to run through his short black hair. "Sorry I was just looking for the bathroom." His deep voice hummed.

The panic attack I just suffered from was still buzzing at the service, a repeat clawing its way out. I quickly nodded, "Oh that's okay. It's that door over there." I pointed to the door across the hall.

He gave me a curt nod, and I expected him to turn the other way towards the bathroom and then that'd be it, however, he just stood there.

"You work at the bookstore on Weeden?" He asked me, and I was taken aback.

I was shocked he recognized me from that small interaction nearly two weeks ago. But then again, he seemed like the type of man who never forgot anything or anyone.

"Yeah, I remember you came in a few weeks ago... what a small world??" I nervously laughed. At this point, I was grasping at straws trying not to melt into the floor.

He nodded once more, "How do you know Jason?" I watched him stare closely at me.

I gulped and I was all too aware of how sweaty my palms were. "Madison's my best friend and my neighbor. She lives in the same apartment complex as me... it's been almost three years since she's lived next to me. But-oh yeah that's how I know Jason, 'cause they're dating and have been for a year now. Which makes me pretty close to Jason because I'm always with Madison and..." I stopped myself from continuing my outburst. "Sorry, you didn't ask all that..."

I watched his face form a barely-there smile. I would've missed it if I was able to look away from his gorgeous face. I was convinced now he was going to turn the other way and run for the hills, but yet again he stayed put.

"Anyways, how do you know Jason?" I asked, trying to move past the awkwardness I just pressed forward.

"Jason works under me." The man told me, unfaced by my nervousness.

"Oh... I'm sorry I didn't realize you were Jason's boss." I quickly proclaimed, "Jason just started there, right? I've heard a lot about your company so far through him."

He pressed his lips together, "Good things?"

I was going, to be honest, and say that I knew he was a workaholic and had a cold demeanor according to Jason, but Jason got a hefty sign-on bonus. Jason was definitely making five times whatever I was making at my quiet bookstore job. I mean he was working for a multimillion-dollar company after all.

I nodded rather quickly, "Yes, of course, I just can't seem to remember your name?"

"Logan." His deep voice told me.

It clicked for me, Logan Valter. I heard some vague things about him through the rumor mills, mostly about how cold and unapproachable he was. Yet here we stood.

I was having a casual conversation with one of the most powerful businessmen in the country, and I was babbling about Madison being my neighbor.

It made sense why he was so intimidating. He was meant to look intimidating, to have a face you didn't want to look away from.

I could hear my heartbeat in my ears, like a methodical song. "I'm Bella... My full name is Isabella but I've gone by Bella for a long time now. Like far enough where I don't think I would even answer to Isabella anymore but..." I was rambling again.

Maybe that "juice" I consumed did far more to me than I thought. I was talking on and on like I was presenting my own TED talk. I started biting my bottom lip in hopes to silence myself.

"Bella," Logan tested the name on his tongue and I swear the earth would have swallowed me whole.

I would've been okay, in fact, if the earth did swallow me whole because I never felt like that when someone has said my name before.

"It's nice to meet you, Bella." Logan tilted his head, ready to ask another question when we were interrupted.

"There you are, Bella!! I was looking for you- oh you met Logan." I heard Madison's voice coming from down the hall. She squeezed past Logan in the doorway and stood by my side. "This is Jason's boss, and he was so kind in coming to the party tonight." Madison looked over and gave him a warm smile. She was pulling on her best customer service voice and I was trying my best not to start laughing.

"Yeah, we were just talking about that." I trailed off, I was just trying to focus on her and contain myself from staring even more at Logan.

"Well, a few of us were going to go sit outside by the fire so I wanted to see if you two wanted to come." Madison glanced back and forth between the two of us. I quickly nodded, trying to get out of this small space with Logan the giant.

Logan is the one who can pull me into such a dark and unnerving trance.

All three of us made our way down the hallway, and into the backyard. The cold October air encapsulated all of us, and I was thankful. The heat I just felt in that room was enough to last a lifetime.

I was all too aware of the effect Logan had on me after our short conversation.

I sat down alone at one of the chairs by the fire, while others were gathered in small groups making conversation. I kept my eyes sweeping over the people... looking for no one in particular.

Maybe I should beg Madison to take me home, I definitely made enough conversation to last a lifetime at this point. I slumped down in my seat, coming up with excuses on how to get home early.

I was deep in thought until I heard arguing back and forth. I slowly looked up and saw two of Jason's unrecognizable friends bickering over by the closed pool. I could vaguely hear what they were talking about, but I was interested enough to keep watching.

Then, he caused both of them to turn their heads. Logan.  The three of them turned what was a heated argument into hushed whispers, demanding tones. I felt like I was the only one watching the three of them resolve their issue.

The heat of the fire caused my skin to tingle in the warmth of sitting there, staring at the three figures. For all the rumors I'd heard about, he was actually pretty decent to me. Logan didn't seem too phased by my rambling on and on, he remained his calm and collected self. Which was nearly the opposite of me.

I thought back to our conversation earlier, and how he so happened to knock on the wrong door.

Yet...the only thing that had me puzzled, was he never went into the bathroom after our conversation.

______
CHAPTER THREE YALL😍

Read ahead five chapters through my Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/iwasalone

What do you guys think so far? Let me know your thoughts and if you have any comments!