ELEVEN: powerless

Logan:

There's only ever been two instances in my life where I've felt completely powerless.

Being taught to act like a stone wall was like second nature to me, almost as easy as learning how to tie my shoe.

So, the first instance where I let my guard slip had me building a wall that would take nearly every grenade in the world to knock it down.

I was twelve years old living out of my backpack in Washington, trained to be the most reserved man in the world. I was taught to not have feelings, taught not to show fear, taught to build trust just to watch them break.

That particular day we had been moving on foot for over eighteen hours, and if we were shifted into our werewolf we would be severely punished.

The headmaster called out to the ten of us, "Alright boys, we pack up for tonight. We'll be up bright and early searching for rogues, so no funny business." He turned around and began to walk deeper into the forest, leaving the pack of us by ourselves.

My shoulders nearly toppled over, finally feeling the weight lifting as I dropped down the heavy bag. The slick sweat clung to my clothes from hiking all day, I was desperate to lay my head on the pillow.

I tore my bag open and stripped off my shirt, knowing all too well that the cool night air was not as forgiving as the beating sun. The temperatures dropped to nearly thirty degrees at night and if you were sleeping in your clothes from the day, you'd be suffering.

I heard a rustle behind me and felt someone shove at my shoulders. "Hey Log, did you want to go have a fire with a few of us?" My beta, at the time, Liam whispered behind me. "We just want to make the most of it y'know?"

I contemplated my options. I had just spent eighteen hours in the beating down sun, searching for rogues that probably don't even exist, and the last thing I wanted to do was keep my eyes open for a minute more.

But, there was nothing quite like bonding with the only other people who understood what I was going through.

Liam was a lot similar to me at the time. High-strung, fast learner, and demanding. We fed off each other's strengths, and it made us both better werewolves.

I shrugged my shoulders and turned slightly to give him a crooked smile. "We can't be out that long though. If any of the headmasters find out we were out that night we'll be doing hell sprints all day tomorrow." I warned and threw my things down to follow him.

We climbed deeper into the forest until we found the two other guys. Liam and I called the two Dumb and Dumber, yet they were anything but.

"Look who showed up, you jackass." Dominic whistled, and took a swig of his flask.

Dominic was going to inherit the Alpha title of his family in Italy when he turned eighteen exactly. It was set in stone, and he seemed to try everything in his power to prevent it from happening. He always told stories about how much he wanted to travel and fly airplanes. We all always gave him shit about it.

"Keep it down, I'm not going to get pistol whipped because of you." I hushed him and walked over to grab his flask. Dominic handed it over worry-free, and I brushed my lips against the sour taste of cheap vodka.

I took a big gulp from the flask, trying to wash away the pain in my legs after the long day.

"Logan, come help me make a fire," Alex called out, hunched over the logs on the ground.

"Yeah, we know you can't make a fire for shit." Dominic teased and began to hum a song that had been stuck in his head for weeks.

I handed the flask back over to Dominic before I stepped over to Alex and began to start the fire. Liam sat on the ground beside us, seeming to be lost in thought.