FOURTEEN: asleep

Bella:

I was encapsulated completely into a pile of comfort.

Ignorant bliss.

Silky clouds brushed against my skin. I was in a sleepless trance. I wanted to revel in the warmth and let it allow my body to rest more. Yet, the more I laid there the more suspicious I got.

I've never been in a bed this comfortable and slept through the night for this long. I danced my fingertips across the surface where my body lay, and knew I would never find comfort like this again.

My eyes shot open and ached as they adjusted to the light of the room. My memory felt defeated as I thought back to the steps on how I ended up here.

Logan.

This was Logan's room, in Logan's house. I must've fallen asleep after we started watching that movie. I held my breath as my cheeks began to flush with color.

The embarrassment flushed over me as I imagined myself snoring loudly on the couch, and somehow I ended up here. There was only one way that would've been possible.

I remember the remainder of the night included hushed whispers and feather touches. Like I was talking to a friend I've known for so long. Logan was like no other I've known before.

I glanced down at my clothes and noticed I was still in the outfit from last night, and Logan was nowhere to be seen.

I placed my feet against the cold hardwood floor and tiptoed to the door. I vaguely knew the layout of the house, but I dragged my feet through the house. My nose lead the way as I followed the smell of hot coffee.

My heart pounded deep in my chest as I saw the sight of Logan. He was dressed in his used suit and tie, holding a coffee mug and reading the newspaper.

His eyes glanced up to mine and an immediate smile lit up his face. My cheeks burned at the harsh stare and I suddenly felt shy.

"Good morning," Logan paused and set down his mug. He carefully remolded the newspaper and turned his complete attention toward me. "I'm sorry I didn't wake you last night. It was already super late and you seemed pretty comfortable."

My fingers subconsciously began to brush against my wrinkled sweater and I gave a sheepish smile. "It's okay, I feel bad for falling asleep like that." I tilted my head in response and felt the urge to hide.

I must've looked like a caveman with my unbrushed hair and slept-in clothes.

"Come," Logan motioned to me. I unknowingly stepped forward. "There's some fresh coffee and loads of breakfast foods in the pantry. You want anything in particular?" Logan leaned across the island of the kitchen counter.

He was freshly shaven, his hair combed perfectly, and his clothes steamed to precision. We couldn't have looked more opposite.

I stepped into the kitchen and b-lined straight towards the coffee. "Coffee's fine." I chirped as I grabbed a mug from the stack sitting next to it and poured myself a steaming cup.

This is what makes life worth it.

"So, what are your plans today?" Logan turned towards me and pressed the mug to his lips. Is it normal for silly, mundane things to look so...dreamy?

"Uhh, I have today off so Madison and I were probably just going to go grocery shopping or something." I shrugged and leaned my back on the countertop.

My eyes still felt heavy from the deep slumber I just rolled out of, but the presence of Logan surged my bones.

"Well, if that's the case..." Logan began and gave me a pleading look. "A close friend of mine is throwing a get-together tonight with some people if you wanted to join me?"

My breath caught in my throat as I thought through my answers.

If there was one thing I knew about myself, it's that social gathers aren't my thing. I get too overwhelmed and worked up over pleasing people than trying to enjoy myself.

I chewed harshly on my lip as I glanced back up at him. "I don't know... I don't really like parties or anything like that."

"It's not a party though it's just a small get-together. Trust me, I would love not to go either but my friend is pretty...adamant about me going." Logan mumbled and set his coffee down. He took a step closer to me and any reasonable thought of mine diminished. "Please, for me?"

My heartbeat began to contract uncontrollably as our proximity closed in. Why did his cologne have to smell so good?

Rational thought...I needed rational thoughts here.

"I'm really sorry, I just don't think it's a good idea. Madison usually has to drag me out to Jason's parties and I still barely last an hour there." The guilt washed over me as I denied his offer.

"Actually, Jason and Madison are going to be there as well." Logan continued, "I understand if not, but who knows you might have fun?"

I felt my bottom lip split open from the excessive biting I was forcing on it. I knew Madison was going to haul me over to my apartment, either way, to drag me there.

"Okay..." I answered and squeezed my eyes shut in my answer. I was trying to shield myself from the truth of my answer.

"Thank you, beautiful. I promise you'll have a good time." Logan winked at me and reached for his coffee again. He glanced down at his watch and took a deep breath. "Did you want to stay here for a while? You can stay as long as you'd like, I just have to make it to work soon." Logan grumbled the last part.

I felt my stomach drop as I couldn't help but think I'd definitely overstayed my welcome. I mean I fell asleep on his couch for heaven's sake.

I leaned off the counter and quickly straightened my shirt out. "No, that's okay. I have to go feed Clementine anyways." I gave a soft smile and felt the pit in my stomach grow bigger. "I'm really sorry for falling asleep on you, I feel so awful."

Logan furrowed his eyebrows together as he gave me a concerned look. "Bella, please don't think I'm kicking you out." His words were kind and sweet, but his tone was harsh and adamant. It was the first time I had come across a different side of Logan, one more chilling and dark.

This side of Logan made sense as to why he was the youngest billionaire in the country.

"No I know, I just feel... like I was bad company."

"You don't actually believe that, do you?" The way he sounded sent chills down my back and I regretted my words.

Yes, in all honesty, I do believe that. But, the way he's looking at me makes me want to say whatever to avoid the harsh stare.

I ran my fingers down my shirt once more in an attempt to straighten it out. "I truly didn't mean to fall asleep. I was just so tired from work yesterday, and it doesn't help that I haven't been sleeping well and stuff. I just don't want you to think that I think you're boring and that's why I fell asleep because you're definitely not boring. Trust me, I would've rather stayed up all night talking to you but my brain had other plans..." I rambled on as his harsh stare grew softer.

Lord, why can't I ever shut up?

"Bella, I could care less that you fell asleep. If I thought you were overstaying your welcome, don't you think I would've woken you up last night?"

My thoughts ran wild as I replayed the image of Logan carrying me up to his bedroom to have me sleep comfortably.

"You're right, I'm sorry." I nodded and gave him an understanding look.

"Stop apologizing." Logan's demanding tone sounded again, and his hands brushed softly against mine. "Come on, I'll drop you off at home before I head to work."

_______________________

Thanks for reading!! Please don't forget to vote and comment. I try to update once a week, and post exclusive content on my patreon! I appreciate all the support thus far!! Let me know your feedback- xoxo. 

Read ahead 5+ chapters on my patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/iwasalone