FOUR: fire

My eyelids weighed heavy as I continued to sit in the lawn chair next to the fire. I was lost in my own thoughts, mostly about those hazel green eyes that entranced me like no other.

I had maybe been there for an hour, and I was staring intently at Madison trying to give her the hint that it was time to b-line home. She was talking to a group of people a few feet away from me. She was completely oblivious to my silent signaling, so I slumped down in my chair.

I decided to let Madison enjoy herself, and opted out of interrupting her to drive me home. I quietly played with the worn bracelet on my wrist, feeling the tired rope in between my fingers. I figured if I gave her at least half an hour more, she'd be the one begging me to go home.

I was suddenly pulled out of my thoughts by an obnoxious, familiar voice.

Oh please no.

I wish I had the ability to turn invisible right about now. Despite Madison promising he wasn't going to be here, there he was in the flesh.

Todd.

Now this man was...annoying. Aggravating and overconfident.

I watched him talking to some other guy and his eyes were sweeping the party. He was on the prowl.

I subconsciously pulled my sleeves over my hands in an attempt to hide. Perhaps I should just go back inside and avoid this creep at all costs. It would be far easier than trying to suffer through a conversation with him.

I took a big gulp and glanced over to the backdoor to come up with an escape plan.

"Is that little Bella over there?" I heard from across the yard, causing me to look over at him.

Todd was a grade-A frat boy. He wore backward caps with his school alumni on it and always has way too much cologne on. I'm pretty sure it was to mask the fact that he didn't shower regularly.

The nickname he gave me "Little Bella" made me want to gag in every possible instance. He explained to me that he did it because I was "small" and "cute", but it only made me hate him more. I told Todd time and time again to stop calling me that, but he always did what he wanted.

I didn't respond to his comment as I watched him move across the yard and stand slightly to the left of the fire. He crossed his arms around his chest, with a big crooked smirk on his face. I wish he would just leave me alone.

"I can't even remember the last time I saw you, I'm glad we're finally able to catch up," Todd told me, sending me a quick wink.

I internally shuddered, I could not deal with him tonight. Todd had eyes on me ever since he met me, unfortunately, five months ago. I think he saw me as a challenging girl to get with or something, but I truly couldn't make it any more obvious that I was not interested.

"Yeah... I didn't think you were coming." I said coldly.

"Well little Bella, it kinda was a last-minute decision. I didn't plan on being here, but the universe pointed me in the right direction." Todd adjusted his baseball hat, then gave me a toothy gross smile. "You're out here sitting all by yourself, so it looks like you could use some company anyways."

I slowly nodded, "I actually think I'm supposed to be heading out soon anyways." I glanced at a peak over at Madison.

Todd let out a short laugh, "Nonsense, I can give you a ride home once we're finished." He reached up and stretched out his arms, giving a disgusting yawn.

I felt chills down my back as Todd inched closer to me. I was about to jump on my feet and excuse myself when I heard another voice interrupt us.

"Todd, I think I heard someone calling your name inside." A deep, husky voice grumbled out. I peeked above Todd's staggering height and saw Logan towering over him.