SEVENTEEN: bizarre

Bella:

The bubbly liquid of the alcoholic drink didn't go down as smoothly as I anticipated. The nerves rolled off my body like a tsunami; I was its last survivor.

Breathe in, out, in, out.

"How is it?" Logan asked and the question pulled me away from the war in my mind.

"It's good, I like it." I gave my best fake smile and sipped the seltzer once more.

"Okay, did you want any food? I think there's pizza-"

"Bella!!" I heard a high-pitched squeal. Madison.

The comfort of knowing my best friend was here had melted an iceberg off my shoulders.

"I'm so happy you made it, oh did you get one of that truth or dare thingies?" Madison rushed over to Logan and me, with Jason trailing behind her. Her skin glowed in the light, as her long silky Turkish hair draped over her shoulders. "Hi, Logan! It's so nice to see you."

Logan gave a quick nod in acknowledgment. "Nice to see you as well. Jason." Logan somewhat greeted.

"Hey Logan, hey Bella. How's your night going so far?" Jason asked as he went over to the cooler to grab a beer.

"It's going good so far, we actually just got here too," I told them as I swirled the can of seltzer.

I turned my attention back to Madison and held up the truth or dare card in my fingers. Madison gave me a gleaming smile in response, clearly displaying her excitement.

"Oh I'm so excited, I love silly party games like this. Apparently, there's a prize?" Madison gushed out while the boys began a boring conversation about work. Figures.

"Yeah, that's what Lily was telling us. I just hope my truth or dare isn't crazy or something- I think I would pass away."

"You're so dramatic! You'll be fine." Madison threw her head back to let out a laugh. "I hope mine is something cool, it better be a dare!" She shoved the small piece of paper into Jason's coat pocket. "Or maybe I want it to be the truth. Should I peak at it?" Madison whispered to Logan and me.

"Isn't the whole point not knowing what it is?" Jason asked her, shaking his head with a big smile appearing on his face.

"Well, I just want to make sure I got a good one. Who wants to trade with me?" Madison pleaded.

"There's no way I'm playing it anyways, so you can open mine and trade with me," Logan told her, and began to scrounge through his pocket for the tiny piece of paper.

"No way," I turned to him and pulled at his hand. "If I have to play, then so do you."

Logan rolled his eyes and shoved the paper back down in his pocket. He shrugged in response to Madison as a way to say sorry.

I chewed numbly into my lip as we continued to chat. The curious eyes of Logan's friends definitely didn't go unnoticed by me, and I knew the conversations were coming.

It's not like I was incapable of conversing with strangers, it's just that I really dreaded it. It was a pit in my stomach to just stay silent and blend in with the crowd. The never-ending thought of doom radiated over my head of someone not liking me.

"Logan," The sound of the voice made me nearly whip my head around to catch the owner. The sound of the pierced heels on the tiles cut through the air like a knife as she approached us.

Her features stood out in a way I had to look away from.

They were sharp, demanding, almost cunning. It was like the first time I saw Logan, like this woman could read my secrets.

Her eyes never faltered away from her prime suspect of Logan as she walked towards me, making me feel inferior.

She had long straight, black hair that cascaded down her back. She wore a sleeveless black dress that clung to her body, and her eyes told a whole story.

When she finally approached us the conversations had hilted from the four of us completely, the attention focusing solely on this mystery woman.

"How are you tonight? I apologize for interrupting you, but I fear there's something you should know." Her eyes stayed steady on Logan, barely even acknowledging the rest of us. But, I couldn't be more grateful for that.

My eyes slowly trailed back to Logan and I saw a shift. Like a slow subtle change, and if I blinked I would've missed it. His pupils dilated, and his eyebrows creased together. The once gleaming smile washed away as he stared at the women who interrupted us.

He was silent for a few moments, the silence in the air becoming cold. "Vanessa." Logan said sharply, "Can this wait until later?"

The woman, who I know learned is Vanessa, promptly shook her head no. Logan didn't say anything as he slowly pulled his hand away from mine, and stepped away from the woman. They both shuffled to the other side of the room and continued a hushed conversation. The pit in my stomach grew.

I watched as they aggressively talked to each other, their voices more than careful to not go above a whisper.

"Well, that was bizarre." Madison rolled her eyes, and grasped onto my hand to pull me away, "Come on let's look around this gorgeous house!"

Madison dragged Jason and me through the house that looked like a modern art museum. My eyes were in awe of the decor, but my mind trailed back to Logan and that woman.

How'd they known each other? What was taking so long? Why'd it have to be a private conversation anyways?

The three of us explored the mansion, fleeing into various parts of the house. It was nice to step away from the party and the watching eyes.

"Bella, look at this!!" I turned my head over to Madison's voice and noticed her staring at a massive bookshelf against the wall. "They're into that supernatural stuff like you!" Madison pulled a book off the shelf and skimmed through it briefly. I hustled over to see what variety of books they had, and what I could add to my collection.

My eyes trailed over the various books about every mythical creature probably known to man. Fairies, dragons, wizards, mermaids. Everything I could think of.

"This is really cool, maybe you can ask to borrow some." Madison chirped.

I quickly shook my head no, "No way, look at how pristine they're kept." My fingers danced over the spine of the books and I carefully read the various types of creatures.

"Who would read a whole book about the Loch Ness Monster?" Jason retorted, causing both Madison and me to laugh.

The sound of a bell interrupted our tour and I heard an echo of Lily's shouting. "Okay guys, time for truth or dare!! Meet in the living room."

Before we rejoined the various guests, I took one look back at the bookcase. When I saw the genre, my breath caught in my throat.

Werewolf History and Breeds. 

_____________

HOPE YOU ENJOY ❤️❤️❤️ 

Read ahead five+ chapters through my Patreon! https://www.patreon.com/iwasalone