NINE: single

Bella:

The next few days consisted of me furiously studying books about wolves. I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to stop until I found an answer that made sense. Like I was searching for the last piece of the puzzle. I needed to find answers, I needed to see what kind of creature was lurking in the woods that morning.

It was almost eating me alive. I knew sleep wasn't a blissful taste I was going to feel anymore, and I was wearing myself thin. I was book three deep into my research when my phone started buzzing, and I saw Madison's name flash on the screen.

"Hey Bells!!" Madison all but announced into the phone.

"Hey, Maddie, what's up?" I rushed out, flipping the pages of my Wolf Encyclopedia book.

"Nothing really, I was just going to go grocery shopping and wanted to see if you wanted to come with me?" She asked me, sounding distracted by the TV.

"Yeah I need to grab some stuff anyways, I'll be over at your house in five minutes?" I closed my book and began to get ready.

"See you then Bells!!" Madison told me then eagerly hung up.

I threw my hair up in a ponytail and slipped on my heavy jacket. Winter was creeping on us more and more every day in Michigan, and the air was at an unforgiving temperature at this point. I checked my phone one last time to see if I had any new texts from someone in particular, but the screen remained the same.

Unlike other days, Logan was pretty slow at responding to me today. An annoying voice in the back of my head kept nagging at me that it was because he was losing interest in me. Yet, I knew he probably was just really busy doing business things. He was such a different person than I could've imagined, and we definitely got a lot closer these past few days than I've let a boy in before.

The thought of him had my blood running, sending a warm pulse through my veins. It was like he ignited a flame in me like never before. Almost like an itch, I couldn't scratch, a book I couldn't put down, a taste I couldn't forget. It was almost dangerous to get this close to him.

I took a deep breath, shoving my phone back into my pocket. I wonder if I scared him away with all the wolf talk the other night, yet it's the only other thing that preoccupies my mind.

I began to make my way to Madison's apartment, softly knocking on the door. Madison swung the door open, rushing out of the apartment.

"Let's go and hopefully we can still make it for McDonald's breakfast." She gave a warm laugh and started the walk to her car.

It was a blessing for me that Madison owned a car because otherwise I would've been stuck taking the bus a lot of the time. There were so many memories associated with driving that I couldn't bring myself to do it anymore.

The cold air hit us almost instantaneously once we reached outside. It clawed at my cheeks, sending a cold shiver down my body. We made our way to Madison's small gray Honda civic, and we were both en route to Mcdonald's.

"I'm really craving an egg McMuffin, you know? They just are unmatched by any other breakfast sandwiches." Madison told me while playing with knobs on the radio. She settled on a new Billie Eilish song.

"They are really good, I just feel like I'm going to pass away from stomach pain after every time I eat them." I laughed giving her a small smile.

"Worth it." She shrugged and began to hum to the radio. I laughed at her comment and watched as we passed the small town we lived in.

"So, how are things going with Logan?" Madison asked in a sing-song voice. She was determined to get answers out of me one way or the other.

She knew I hung out with him the other night and I kept the details brief. I just didn't want to jinx anything since Logan and I barely knew each other.