Halloween - Janis x Cady

Halloween.

Janis hated Halloween.

Shocking, I know, the horror movie fanatic who made her own Maleficent horns just to sit at home and watch movies with her best friend, hates Halloween.

Halloween, 2014, was the day Janis never wanted to celebrate Halloween again.

Still friends with Regina George, Karen Smith and Gretchen Weiners, Janis accepted their invite when they asked her if she wanted to go trick or treating with them.

Shockingly, this wasn't meant to be a recipe for disaster, Regina still liked Janis.

It wasn't supposed to end up like this.

One particular house with only cobwebs on its bushes and very dimmed lights wasn't a very friendly Halloween house.

The group approached the house, rang the doorbell and waited.

But they didn't even wait.

The door swung open immediately, revealing a man, mid 50s who didn't hold a bowl of candy.

"One moment, girls," he said in a very raspy voice, as if he smoked his entire life which would not be shocking.

The door slowly closed as he went to 'go look for candy'.

The four girls patiently waited, slowly losing it as the seconds ticked by.

The door swung open again.

"I can't find it. I know I have it. I think it's in the basement, would you like to wait inside? It's cold out," the man spoke.

Janis was the only one who felt uneasy about this situation, especially since it was 60 degrees outside, yet she still followed as the rest of her friends went inside.

The door closed behind them as the man led them inside.

It was nearly pitch black inside the house besides the one dim light on the porch.

"If you come into the basement I'll give you all the candy I have."

This triggered something in Janis, made her adrenaline rush.

Her eyes flicked nervously around the room until they stopped on the basement door opening.

The three others walked down the steps, leaving Janis no choice but to follow.

You could expect what happened from there.

Since then, Janis has never gone out on the day of Halloween unless she's going to Damian's house or Cady's house, which she's still reluctant to do, but when she does, she carries pepper spray.

Tonight, it's Halloween, and she's going over to Cady's house for a sleepover. Holly, Janis's little sister, had gone trick'or'treating with a group of friends at the same time Janis left so she didn't have to walk alone for a part of the walk.

Since it was October, November just around the corner, the sun was already setting and it was nearly dark and Janis had separated from Holly and her friends.

This did not help Janis's case.

Half-drunk teenagers already sashayed down the streets, screaming and yelling and laughing like lunatics.

Janis pulled her jacket around herself tighter.

Just 5 more minutes. 5 minutes to Cady's house. She'll be fine, she can do this, it's just 5 minutes. It's fine, she'll be fine—

"Hey!" Janis's eyes flick around to who said that, her gaze landing on the group of seniors.

She keeps walking, her pace growing faster by the second.